ʟɪᴛᴛʟᴇ ꜰᴀᴍɪʟʏ

~ONE YEAR LATER~

Sophia and Karl talked about what kind of lives they wanted to live. The places they would want to see. You get stuck in a place for close to a century, you crave some kind of an adventure.  

A baby wasn't exactly what they had in mind at first. They didn't even think it was an option. When Sophia started experiencing symptoms, they went completely over her head. It wasn't until after a conversation with Mia that it came up. 

"It's funny..." the brunette laughed over the phone. 

"What is?" Sophia asked nervously. 

There was a pause and a gentle sigh, "Well...the way you describe it reminds me of when I was pregnant with Rose." 

Sophia's breath hitched, and her stomach dropped, "That's not possible," she thought. 

And as if Mia had heard her thoughts, "I know it sounds crazy, Soph. But, think about it. If Ethan and I could, why wouldn't you and Karl?"  

When Sophia told Karl, she didn't receive the reaction she was anticipating. She was almost positive she's never seen him smile that big before. 

"Soph...? Are--are you serious?" 

She laughed softly, a few tears falling from her lower lash line, "Incredibly."  He approached her slowly, a wide smile that reached his eyes painted across his face. When she was in arms reach he picked her up by her waist and spun her around happily. She giggle, her hands linking behind his neck as she peppered kisses on his lips. 

Their foreheads fell together as he placed her back down onto her feet. "We're gonna be parents," he breathed in bewilderment and Sophia let those words settle...parents. "I hope you have some baby books in those shelves of yours," he jested earning a chuckle from her. 

"We can get some," she assured through a smile. 

"Elias, no" the red-eyed woman scolded gently taking the spade from the young ones hand. "Don't touch," she told him firmly and sent back down into her caddy. 

The boy dropped his head slightly, pouting his bottom lip, "Sorry, mama." Sophia couldn't help but smile at his apology, his little lisp making her heart melt. 

She stood up from her knelt position, brushing her hands off on her overalls and reached down to pick him up, "It's okay, sweet boy." She settled him on her hip, running her hand over his dark brown curls before planting a kiss on his forehead, "Let's go find your father and sister." She suggested, carefully stepping around her garden to the stone path, "Though I don't think we'll have to look very far." 

She followed the narrow walkway to the barn out back, knocking with her free hand on the door.  "Come in," Karl sounded inside and she pushed it open cautiously. 

"Come in!" The tiny voice of her daughter repeated excitedly from the top of the workbench. Almost an exact copy of her brother besides her longer curls and light green eyes. She holds a small wrench in her hand, grease on her face and arms. 

I sink into my hip and click my tongue, "Just what do you think you're doing, little lady?" 

"Helping, papa!" She shouted and Karl who had his back to them, turned around with a proud smirk on his lips, wiping away grim from his hands. 

"Oh, are you now..." she cooed and walked around the workshop toward the pair. His arm snaked around her waist once she was close enough and he kiss the side of her head tenderly as her eyes scanned the table, "What are you two working on?"