Chapter 21 - I'll Help You

(Quick A/N: i know this is an angst story, but this chapter is mostly fluff, I hope that's ok!)

Shuichi's POV

As I walked through the halls, I couldn't help but feel like I was forgetting something. I was already late for class anyway so it wouldn't hurt to check right?

I slid the straps of my bookbag off and unzipped the opening of it. I checked to make sure I had everything I needed but sure enough I didn't have my computer with me.

I let out a long, very annoyed sigh knowing I'd have to go all the way back to my dorm. I put my bookbag back on after zipping it up again and started to slowly and lazily make my way back to my apartment.

When I got there and was outside of my bedroom door, I stopped for a second to listen... I could hear.. crying? It didn't sound like a stranger though, it sounded like Kokichi?

Oh wait, he was probably looking for the gun. He wouldn't have been able to get into the safe and retrieve it. So what could have been making him cry?

I hesitated for a minute before finally opening up the door. I called out his name, my brain still a bit dazed and groggy with sleepiness.

"Kokichi?" I looked down at the desk he was looming over, and once I did everything clicked into place. It didn't take me long to realize what he was crying about.

He was crying about the journal I made about him. The one I studied him in. My stomach dropped in horror and slight embarrassment. When I said his name he looked up from the journal and over at me.

He turned pale when he saw me, similar to how some people would react when they see a ghost. He was also intensely shivering, as if he had just went out in snow with no clothes on.

"A-are you ok? What's wrong? And why are you in my dorm.. did something happen?" I took gentle, non threatening steps toward him, careful to not make it seem like he was in trouble

Kokichi just seemed to break down right then and there. It was like his facade never existed in the first place as buckets of tears rolled down his cheeks.

He tried to speak through his sobs, it was almost torture trying to listen to the poor boy in pain, but I wanted to help him, so I payed attention anyway.

"Y-you t-took the g-gun.. so I came to look for it h-here.. but.. I found this instead..." he struggled to speak as his tears rolled down his red-stained cheeks.

He shakily held up the journal, he looked like he was preparing for me to hit him. I felt.. bad. But what was really confusing me was his crying.

Why was he crying over that? Wouldn't he be scared of me, knowing that I was taking time out of my day just to study him? Ok.. ill calm him down first since I can't bare to look at him like that for any longer..

"Its ok Kokidough, come here, let's get you calmed down and washed up, alright? You can vent to me if you want aswell" I stated in a soft tone, a warm smile glued onto my face. Kokichi had shook his head, denying the option to vent but letting me clean him up.

I took hold of his free hand, making sure I didn't startle him. I gave a gentle tug, signaling for him to come with me. He got the gist and started to follow me to the bathroom.

I turned the sink on and drenched a towel with hot water. "Tell me if its too hot ok?" I said. Kokichi hesitantly nodded in response. I wiped away Kokichi's tears with the wet towel, his eyelids fluttering and trying to stay open as the cloth was slightly forcing his eyes to close.

I should clean his cuts, just in case. I thought. I silently cursed, wondering how I'd ask to see his arms without him panicking. "Hey Koki?" at the sound of his nickname the supreme leader's attention turned to me.

"You're not in trouble, ok? I just wanna see your arms if thats ok with you." Kokichi blanched, startled, but then remembered how I said he wasn't in trouble. He gripped the hem of his sleeve and slowly pulled it upwards, revealing too many cuts to count.

My stomach dropped and waves of sympathy washed through me. But I reassured Kokichi that I wasn't mad at him by giving him a light pat on the back and saying,

"I'll be right here by your side, its ok. You don't have to suffer alone anymore. If you ever need someone to talk to or vent to, just come to me. I'm always open." I stated with an unthreatening tone.

Kokichi stood there, dumbfounded at how nice i was being to him. It was almost overwhelming for the smaller male, since he wasn't used to being cared for.

I looked back at his arm and grabbed a second towel from the nearest cabinet and let the water run on it for a while before I turned off the faucet and focused on Kokichi's arm again.

Some of the cuts were still red and blood was trying its hardest to seep out from behind the scabs. "Just let me know if it hurts alright?" I said, Kokichi nodded, tears still in his eyes but not falling.

I pressed the white cloth onto his arm, gingerly making sure not to put too much pressure. Kokichi's beautiful purple eyes (that were usually bright with fake joy) were now filled with enervation. Almost blank.

He was thinking about something. There were endless possibilities of what he was thinking of, and I guess I could somewhat relate to him in this moment. As I turned the towel over, it was no longer white, but now stained pink with blood.

I didn't care though, I needed to help Ouma, so I was going to. If it meant he was happy, then it meant I was happy.

I placed the towel onto the counter and opened up a different cabinet, my olive-grey eyes scanning the shelves for any type of medical equipment similar  to bandaids.

Luckily I had found gauze, stored away in the back of one of the shelves for whatever reason. I had opened up the small box that the gauze was in and started to wrap some around Ouma's arm as he winced at the new feeling.

I glanced up at Kokichi, I tried to read his expression and atleast get some sort of hint about what he was thinking about. It had to be atleast something important because he hadn't even realized I had been staring at him for the past minute.

Completely forgetting to ask him about the journal, I tried to distract him from his thoughts, breaking the silence and also unintentionally breaking his train of thought in the process. "So, anything interesting coming up?" I asked, watching the boy in front of me jump with sudden alert.

He balled his hands into fists and brought them close to his chest with excitement as soon as I finished applying the gauze."Oh! My birthday is in two weeks! Can you get me a birthday present? I'll pay you back! June 21st, ok? Promise you won't forget!"

Kokichi seemed to be back to his happy ways already, but he was most likely faking it. I mean, if I were Kokichi in this situation, it would atleast take me a week to feel better again.

I chuckled at Ouma's childish commands, "Ok ok, I'll get you a present and I won't forget, I promise."

1366 words! By the way if the last chapter was sloppily written its because I was rushing to get it done, same goes for this chapter. Also i feel like the name of this chapter doesn't really fit for some reason? Oh well- Anyways I promise to get the next chapter out as soon as possible!