Chapter 25 - Forgiveness

Shuichi's POV

I didn't say anything about my shoulder becoming wet with Kokichi's tears. I understood completely why he was crying. And I felt so bad for it, knowing that I was the reason he was crying.

"I'm sorry..." I whispered. Sorrow pierced through my veins, how could I have forgotten about something so important..

And now it's all my fault that Kokichi is sad, and it probably damaged his trust again. "What can I do to make it up to you? I wanna make you feel as happy as I can, okay?"

Kokichi slowly pulled away from the hug. He looked down at the ground, probably just trying to hide his tears, but I didn't stop him. "Well, you could just celebrate the rest of the day with me.." He said, his voice audibly breaking with sadness.

"If thats what you want, then of course I'll do it" I said, a warm smile presented on my face. Kokichi nodded, wiping his tears with the front of his hand.

"Do you wanna open your presents or eat your cake first?" I asked. Kokichi paused for a minute, looking as if he was thinking of something. He hesitated before mumbling, "presents first.."

I found it a bit odd that he didn't want to eat the cake first, considering his love for sweet things like panta. But I went with it anyways and grabbed the presents from the dining table and setting them on the couch in the living room.

"You can start opening them whenever you want, I'm not gonna rush or force you" I stated, hoping the words were comforting. Kokichi nodded and grabbed a medium sized box that was decorated in purple wrapping paper.

(Uhhh idk what Kokichi would want for his birthday so ill just put G/N which stands for gift name and you can pretend like he got stuff he would rlly want idk)

Kokichi ripped apart the wrapping paper as quick as he could, I felt glad when I noticed he was (sorta) back to his happy, childish ways already.

Kokichi's eyes seemed to sparkle with glee when he finally got all of the paper off of the present. "You got me a [G/N]?? Wow thanks Shumai!! You really know me well.. you know me better than anyone else!"

I nervously laughed, scratching the back of my neck with my right hand. "Heh... yeah.. I guess I do.." I could feel my face heat up, but I didn't try to cover it, since Kokichi was too distracted by his gifts to say anything.

I was gonna add on, saying that I was the only person he hung out with. And it was the truth, but I knew that would be the worst thing to say and it would obviously make Kokichi sad, and that was the last thing I wanted to do.

As I watched him open each of his presents one by one, I couldn't help but notice a hint of sadness in his eyes, as if something was lingering in the back of his mind, restricting him from being fully happy.

(Small Time Skip)

"Wow Shuichi!! You got me all of the gifts I wanted! You're the best! Thank you so much!" He cheered, his hands balled into excited fists and he brought them close to his chest before reaching out and pulling me into a hug.

I didn't hesitate to hug back, though the hug didn't last very long because Kokichi had backed up with an uncomfortable expression on his face. He played it off by grabbing a nearby bottle of panta and chugging it down.

It reminded me about the cake that still sat on the table, untouched. "Oh! Do you wanna eat the cake now?" I asked. I could see Kokichi hesitate at the question but nodding anyway.