Close Call

Jean cursed as the Beast Titan began throwing rocks at the Scouts. Getting out of here alive seemed like an unlikely ending and his mind drifted to you. "FUCK!" He cursed allowed as Connie watched him with worry. "Jean...we'll get you out of here I promise..." Jean stared at him with confusion, why was Connie only talking about him? They should all get out of there not just him.

"What do you mean me?! We're all getting out of here—"

"Yes but...you're our priority." Sasha whispered as they took cover on top of the Wall. "NO! no one is a priority—we protect each other—why are you doing this to me!?" Jean's voice cracked which caused the others to look at each other. The last thing Jean wanted was his comrades to focus on getting him home safe, and not protecting themselves.

"Jean...you need to get home...that baby...it's a sign of hope for all of us." Armin finished but Jean continued shaking his head. Before he could speak, Mikasa announces that the Armored Titan is approaching. Jean couldn't think straight—he felt immense guilt thinking about his comrades' mentality about all of this, but also longing to return to you...and his child.

Erwinthen instructs the Levi Squad and Hange Squad to take down the Armored Titan. They are to use their Thunder Spears at their discretion.

Their plan is in motion. Eren has transformed and Reiner has spotted him. Armin nods seeing how Reiner charges at Eren, clearly taking the bait.

Eren and Reiner grapple with each other and Eren manages to throw Reiner off of him. As Reiner realizes that he cannot take Eren on by himself, Hange leads their squad and Levi's to attack the Armored Titan. Reiner is surprised, not expecting that they can actually damage him, when Hange and Mikasa fly towards him armed with their new Thunder Spears. The rod-like projectiles impale Reiner in the eyes and then explode, blinding him.

From behind, the rest of Hange and Levi Squads attack, firing their Thunder Spears into the Armored Titan's back and disengaging before they can get caught up in the explosion. Jean shouts that it worked, the armor around Reiner's nape is peeling off. Hange calls for them to attack again to finish him off.

Jean, Connie and Sasha look at each other, their faces drop. They were hesitating. "Do you remember...when Reiner saved me--" Connie began but was squashed by Jean. "That doesn't matter anymore." Jean states heavily and Sasha sighs as well.

Jean rallies them and the three move in to attack with the rest of the Scouts.

Bertholdt has been waiting for Reiner's signal for a while now he is aware that it has been a while since Reiner has transformed. However, Reiner has not signaled him and Bertholdt is worried about his friend's well-being, unaware that the Scout Regiment is currently cheering over having blown Reiner's head off with their Thunder Spears. The nape of the Armored Titan has been blown open with Reiner's partially decapitated body protruding from the back of its neck.

Jean laughed nervously, he didn't know how to feel about the whole thing. Turning to Connie and Sasha, their faces dropped as the realization that they could have killed Reiner. Jean shut his eyes. Despite everything, Reiner was his friend. Reiner always felt like a big brother to everyone that despite everything, he felt for him, especially now.

Suddenly, Reiner's Armored Titan lifts its head and lets out a roar. In a barrel on the quadruped Titan's body, Bertholdt recognizes it as the signal. The Beast Titan picks up the barrel containing Bertholdt and hurls him over the Wall into Shiganshina as Hange calls for their squad to blow Reiner's body to bits. However, Armin quickly deduces that the roar was a signal for Bertholdt and spots the incoming barrel. He warns Hange that they need to get away from Reiner before Bertholdt transforms into the Colossal Titan and blows them all away.