The Return

The Scouts have only been gone for a few days but to you it felt like it had been years since they left.

The other cadets back at HQ tried to keep you company, playing card games, or cooking for you, you appreciated their efforts but couldn't shake the thoughts of the expedition.

You weren't sleeping well, thoughts of the worst things that could happen to the Scouts plagues your mind every night. Thoughts of pain, destruction and death were all you could muster.

Then there were thoughts of Jean. You knew he was reluctant to go, leaving you behind in your state. But one of the things you admired about him was deep down, he was the bravest person you've ever met. Seeing his growth from the cocky bastard you couldn't stand to the man who would sacrifice everything for his team, you couldn't ask for more.

As you sighed staring at the gate like you did every day, you pictured him walking through the large doors and into your arms.

Suddenly, there was yelling.

"THEY'RE BACK!" One of the soldiers announced and your heart rose. They're back. They're home. Jean is home.

As the gates opened, your heart immediately dropped. There were so few of them, you could count the survivors with both of your hands.

You ran down from where you were seated onto the main area. You see Captain Levi and Hange, both had solemn faces, but Hange's face brightened up a bit when she saw you. Where was Commander Erwin, you thought.

Floch trudged behind them angrily, he was looking at the ground and cursing under his breath. Suddenly, you see someone being carried in a stretcher and you freeze. You walk closer and see Sasha. Her eyes are barely open but she tugs on your hand as you approach.

"W-what happened?" you whisper and she smiles. "I'm fine...I promise...just need some bread.." she mutters and you smile. Despite being injured, she's still thinking about food.

You turn around and see Armin, Eren and Mikasa. Armin smiles sadly at you and Eren looks more distant than usual.

"Y/N..." Armin begins. "There's something you should know..." he begins and your heart drops. You haven't seen Jean yet. Is he okay? Is he...alive?

"Not now Armin..." Mikasa scolds and Armin nods, gives you a hug and walks passed you. Mikasa hugs you as well and Eren places a hand on your shoulder. You suddenly feel someone grabbing you and hugging you from behind and you turn around to see Connie.

"Connie! I'm so happy you're alright!" You hug him back and Connie laughs. "Wow, seeing your face has got to be the best thing that's happened the past few days." He looks down and plays with his fingers.

"Connie...just tell me what happened. Armin was about to tell me something but Mikasa stopped him. Is it Jean? Is he—"

"Y/N." you froze. You could recognize that voice anywhere. You turn and there he is. Jean was standing with his shirt battered, dirt on his cheeks, and cuts on his face. But he was here. He survived. You felt tears in your eyes at the sight of him and you've never been so thankful in your life.

You started jogging towards him and his frown curved up into a smile. He grabbed you and kissed you and you swear you've never been happier.

"YUCK!" Connie yells from behind you and you roll your eyes at him. Jean cups your face and slowly wipes the tears that were streaming down your cheeks.

"I though you—"

"I told you I'd never leave you right?" He whispers and you nod. He pulls you in once more and places a kiss on your forehead.

"What happened? Where's Erwin?" You ask and the look on Jean's face tells you everything. He was dead.

"Is that what Armin was trying to tell me? That he was gone?" Jean looks at you with sadness and you knew there was something more. Jean couldn't speak. He didn't know how to tell you Bertholdt was dead and how Armin was now the Colossal Titan.

"Come with me to my room?" He asked and you nodded.

As you got to his room, you plopped on his bed and Jean snaked himself next to you.

"Bertholdt is dead." He states and your eyes shot open. You didn't think it would affect you after everything but you felt a heaviness in your chest.

You were trying not to react, knowing how Jean felt about him and Reiner betraying you. "Don't hold it in. It's alright." Jean states and you close your eyes once more as your tears come back.

"Shit." He mutters and he brings his arms around you and wraps his whole body around yours.

He tells you everything, how Armin is now the Colossal Titan, about Erwin, the things they found in the Eren's basement.

"I feel terrible...I wasn't there—"

"Don't." Jean cuts you off and you sigh. "Knowing you were back here...was what kept me going...if you weren't..." He trails off and rests his head on your stomach.

"What kind of world is this, Y/N? What do we even do now..." Jean closes his eyes.

"I don't what's going to happen to us. There's no light. Nothing. No hope—" he suddenly stops and stares at your stomach.

"Y/N...I felt something." Jean stares at your stomach in disbelief. "The baby is kicking." You smile and Jean looks up at you. Staring back at your stomach you see the tears start to form in his eyes.

"Jean, are you okay?" You giggle and nods slowly.

"I have hope. There's hope." He whispers and you can see that something in him has changed.