Chapter 21- The Roof

"What the hell is going on?" I peeked around Keith slowly, feeling his hand leave my face. I quickly wiped tears from my eyes, spotting Ashton. Keith also turned around.

I frowned at him and shoved Keith away, running out of the shop. I sprinted away, not knowing where I was headed to. I found myself going to the roof again.

I ran up the stairs and opened the door, the cool air instantly making me more calm. After taking a deep breath, I plopped down next to the doorway and leaned my head against the wall. Why is everything falling apart so soon? I mean I've only been here a month!

I found myself crying. I wasn't sure why. Maybe I'm just tired. I focused on breathing and relaxed more, still not able to stop the tears from forming.

I checked my phone. 7:45. Shit I have first period at 8. I got up and wiped my face with my jacket sleeve.

I jogged down the stairs and through the hall, trying not to disturb people who were still trying to sleep. I went down the final set of stairs and made my way out of the dorm building and to the lockers.

I grabbed the books I needed and walked quickly to class. Right on time. I took my seat as the teacher began.

♡︎♡︎♡︎♡︎♡︎♡︎

I yawned, waiting for the teacher to dismiss us to lunch. I wasn't really looking forward to it, but at that moment anything was better than history. I pulled out my phone and decided to shoot Grayson a text.

J- hey

G- Hiii what's up?

J- help me avoid ashton at lunch

G- Fine! But only if you say please!!

J- okay mom🖕
J- please help?

G- I'll see what I can do. Let's meet outside your classroom. History, right?

J- yep

I closed my phone discreetly and placed it back in my pocket. People who text with perfect grammar piss me off. Like, this is a conversation, not an English test.

"Turn it in tomorrow morning!" The teacher, I forgot her name, reminded whoever was listening. I got up with the other people and left the room, waiting against the wall for Grayson.

"Jayden." I turned around to see Grayson. I looked at him expectantly. "So I was thinking and I think I'll tell him that you have to meet with a teacher during lunch. That's believable, right?" He suggested. I thought it over. I guess he won't really know who I'm with, since we have mostly different classes.

"Sounds good. Thanks again." I nodded.

"It's not a problem, but I don't like lying to my friend. Get this sorted out soon, okay?" He frowned.

"We will." I lied. I wasn't about to say 'No, we won't get it sorted out, Grayson. He's friends with my birth father and works with him to try and get me back to Bill!'

"Good. See ya!" He waved, walking away.

I sighed and walked around a bit, not sure what to do with myself. I could get some homework done. I thought. Christ, who do I think I am?! Pff! 'Do homework'? Screw this.

I walked towards the stairs, knowing exactly where I could pass my time. I climbed up and opened the door, breathing in the fresh air. I'm definitely going to become a regular here. I stepped out onto the room and plopped down in my usual spot, letting my thoughts entertain me.

I stayed there for a bit, maybe 10 minutes, before the door creaked open. I jumped and looked over. Fuck.

"Why are you avoiding me?" Ashton said bluntly. I blinked a few times before responding.

"What do you mean, 'why are you avoiding me?'? You know damn well, Ashton!" I stood up angrily, looking him in the eye.

"No! I don't know what I did!" He huffed, crossing his arms.

"Fuck you, Ashton. Stop playing dumb, I saw you with him." I frowned.

"With who? Jayden what the hell is going on?!" He almost yelled.

"Bill, for fucks sake!" I yelled, angry at him for playing innocent. I didn't care if he got mad at me.

"Okay? Yes I spoke to Bill! What's wrong with that?" He asked. I rolled my eyes and made a tch sound. "Seriously, Jayden, you can't just start ignoring me simply because I talked to someone! Is it because he's old?" He asked.

"No, Ashton. It's because he's a messed up fuck who's manipulating you. That's why." Tears pricked my eyes.

"Jayden, why are you crying?" Ashton asked, softening his glare.

"Ashton. I'm done with you playing innocent. You know who he is. You know what he wants. And you know how to get it for him. So fuck you. Bye." I ignored his concern. Ashton said nothing and I sprinted down the stairs, almost satisfied with myself.

I panted and pulled out my phone, calling Grayson because I couldn't see my keyboard through my tears.

"Hey, man, what's up? Is the meeting with that teacher over?" He asked. Oh so he's with the group. I sniffled.

"Could you come get me." I whispered, wanting someone to cry to.

"Where are you?" Grayson commanded. I smiled at how determined he sounded.

"Next to the vending machines near the bathrooms." I almost stuttered.

"Okay I'll be there in a sec, wait up, okay?"

"Okay." I hung up, pulling my knees in for comfort. I waited for him for a while, and finally I heard footsteps. I peeked around to find him walking over.

"What happened, Jay?" He said softly, sitting down with me. I didn't respond, thinking about what I should and shouldn't tell him.

After a minute of him patiently waiting for my response, I came to a decision.

"Grayson?" I asked.

"Yeah, what's up?" He looked concerned.

"I'm going to tell you something I've never ever told anyone. Don't tell anyone or I'll kill you, okay?" He nodded and I took a deep breath, ready to cry.

THANK YOU GUYS FOR 10K READS WTF I LIVE YOU!! WHAT SHOULD I DO TO THANK YOU GUYS??

team ashton?

or

team grayson?