Chapter 27- Grab the Kids

"Hey you guys!" Jackson greeted us.

"Hey," Ashton said.

"The others are already trying to start a game without everyone, so hurry up," he walked us over to where the rest of our group was. There were 3 pool tables in the lounge. Apparently some kids parents donated them? I don't know.

"You guys wanna pair up, or how do you wanna do thing?" Isaac asked.

"Let's pair up. We can always switch if I'm too good for anyone," Grayson smirked.

"Oh you're on, man, you're practically begging for it," Daniel spoke up. That's probably the most I've ever heard him speak.

"You and me!" I turned my face to Ashton.

"Sure, but don't underestimate me," I warned half-jokingly. I'd never played pool before, but I was pretty confident in my lack of clumsiness.

"Whatever you say," he said confidently. Oh ho ho, he does not know what he's gotten himself into.

I let Ashton set it all up. I didn't tell him that I didn't know how to, because that would obviously raise his confidence a little too much, and we don't need that.

"Alright, ladies first," he teased.

"Then you go first," I teased back.

"Your loss," he remarked, lining up the stick thing with the white ball. He hit the triangle right in the center, scattering the balls. A solid red one went in and few more got close. So he gets the solid ones, right?

"Looks like you're stripes," he walked around the table, lining up again with the white ball. This time he missed. He backed away from the table, letting me go.

I lined myself up with the white one and copied what Ashton did with his hands. I accidentally hit the ball on the side and it spun into a purple stripe one, knocking it in.

"You're not even doing it right," Ashton chuckled.

"Maybe, but it worked so...," I shrugged confidently.

Ashton and I went back and forth, me surprisingly getting in shots with wonky hits. Ashton was the first to get a shot at the 8 ball.

"This is game over, stripes," Ashton said dramatically.

"Eh, I don't know about that, solids. Which slot you going for?"

"That one," he pointed to the corner in front of him. He lined up and swung, nicking the side of the ball, sending the white one straight into the hole.

"God damnit," he frowned.

"Ah ha ha...," I grabbed the white ball and placed it down confidently. I lined up perfectly and hit it, doing the same thing as Ashton. "Oh."

Ashton burst out laughing. "That was your winning swing?"

We went back and forth our last few turns, both of us continuously missing that damn 8 ball. Finally, Ashton got it first.

"Fuck you," I lightly pushed him.

"What were you saying earlier?" He said smugly.

"What are you talking about? Are you trying to put words in my mouth, Ashton?"

"Me? No," he played along.

"That's not very girlboss of you," I joked. We both laughed at how stupid that sounded. I looked over at the others to find pure chaos.

Grayson and Daniel looked like professionals; perfectly lining up shots going back and forth. Jackson and Isaac had given up on pool and decided fencing was more their forte. It was funny watching the dancing around poking each other with pool sticks.

"And I still wonder how we all get along," Ashton pondered.

"It's because I'm paying them, Ashton. I was looking for the right time to tell you but-," he cut me off mid-joke.

"Wanna get out of here?" He asked.

"And go where? Also I don't wanna ditch these guys. Let's wait till at least Grayson and Daniel are done." He nodded to show he agreed, so we walked over to them.

"Who's winning?" I asked to rile them up.

"I am," Daniel said.

"No you idiot I literally am," Grayson argued. They went back and forth on the rules and shit before i interrupted their cat fight.

"We wanna go somewhere. Wanna finish this first or what?"

"I'm hungry, let's go," Grayson said.

"He only wants to go cuz he's loooosing," Daniel taunted. Wow I've never seen this side of him.

"Oh shut it. Someone grab the kids," Grayson said.

Ashton and I went and got the other two and we left to get a snack.

"Vending machines or shop?" Grayson asked as we walked out of the lounge.

"Uh, I'd say shop. There's more stuff there," I spoke up. I looked around to see who else wanted to go.

"Sounds good," Grayson agreed. Some of them nodded with him. We all walked towards the shop in one big group, talking, and laughing, and being idiots. Definitely disturbing so many people trying to relax.

"Alright I'm not paying for anything so someone buy me something," Jackson said like the little gremlin he is.

"I'm not buying you shit," Isaac egged him on.

"Oh no," Grayson muttered. I cracked a smile at the idiots. I walked over to the front, grabbing a bag of Chex Mix and paying.

Technically the shop isn't owned by the school, I learned. It's another business that splits its profit to be on campus.

"Alright what'd you guys decide on?" I looked between Isaac and Jackson.

"Grayson's paying," Isaac smirked. Grayson sighed and face palmed before giving in.

We all went out after getting snacks and walked to the courtyard. I decided on sitting in the shade on the side of the science building.

We sat and talked until the sun set and we all started turning in one by one. Last to leave was Daniel, who sat comfortably until he checked his watch.

"I'm going. Don't stay out too late," he smiled sweetly. I gave him a quick wave goodbye and watched him walk off before turning to Ashton.

"Guess it's our turn to leave?" I asked.

"I guess. It's dark anyways," he stood up with a grunt, offering me a hand up. I took it and he purposely pulled me up too hard, making me run into him.

"You fucker," I hid my embarrassment. He just chuckled, letting go of my hand for a second only to grab it again with the other hand.

We walked in comfortable silence back to our dorm.