twenty-four

Darry was used to getting up early for work, but instead of going today he had taken the day off to go to the gun shop, which was out of town. he knew things would be getting serious and something was needed to protect his brothers and the gang besides some switchblades and fists.

it made him scared, but that wasn't new.

darry was always scared and he felt nothing else.

from knowing his brothers could've been taken away from him at any time possible, to having pony nearly get arrested, die at that. he never had time to be him again, not after his parents died. the second they were gone was the second he grew up and it was too fast. everyone thought he was scary or intimidating, but he wasn't even like that on the inside.

trauma and growing up as quick as he did have him a rough exterior on the outside so it looked like nothing hurt him...

but everything always did. there was no getting him back and with the socs threats, he had to become what people thought he was on the outside.

it sucked, but he'd risk anything for the boys and that one girl who drank beers and ate chocolate cake on his couch because that was their safe place.

and they were his.

a good hour or two later, dar had made it to his final destination. he hopped out of his truck and walked into the store. for about five minutes he was just scanning each gun and the price. it needed to be affordable but it also couldn't be super old and dysfunctional.

he ended up getting help from a worker who found just the right gun for him. he purchased it and ammo as well, just enough to make him feel he had a comfortable amount.

—————————

"hey man let's go to bucks so i can grab my clothes." dallas walked next to eden on the way out of the hospital.

"alright, you staying over?" eden asked him.

"well," he scratched the back of his neck. "i kinda wanted to stay with you till this whole soc thing calms down. make sure you're good ya dig?"

"i dig alright, but i just think you don't want anything to happen to me, is that right superman?" eden nudged his arm.

"yea, i'm your knight in shining armor babe." he laughed, opening the car door for her and placing her crutches next to her.

once they got into bucks, eden walked in and sat in front of the old man.

"hey buck, how are ya?"

"i'm good sweetie, what happened to ya this time? i see the hospital band on you."

"oh," eden nervously chuckled and explained the soc situation as she needed this to be spread to more greasers, though tim probably told a lot of them already.

"gee that sure is scary eden, i'm sorry about this but you got dal to protect ya and the whole gang."

"you're right i guess, but what about you? you got any protection sir?"

he laughed, his wrinkles showing vividly through his smile. "oh of course, i've got a few guns 'round here, just gotta get them out of hiding and lock up the place earlier. i'll plan it out."

a few minutes passed till dallas was back downstairs with his clothes.

"cmon doll, i'm ready." dallas called out.

"alright i'll meet you in the car one second, bucks gotta ask me something." she then averted her attention back to the grey man. "so what were you asking?"