Gym Class is stupid (Ricky Bowen Sickfic)

Second request: red5050

Prompt: Ricky gets sick in gym class.

A/N: I don't know about other schools but ours had a mile run every semester and I got to sit out because of a medical exception.

*Ricky and Nini are in seventh grade in this story.

**************

Ricky woke up dreading the events of today. He knew that he couldn't avoid today since he was failing gym class and a bunch of other classes but stayed in bed for five more minutes to rest.

"Wake up Ricky! We're going to be late for school. Today's the mile run and I'm going to beat my record time from last semester," Nini walked into the room ripping the sheets off Ricky's bed since his mom wasn't around to wake him up.

"I don't want to run a mile," Ricky groaned as he pulled the sheets back over his head.

"It's mandatory and you are graded on your performance. Isn't this exciting Ricky? I could make the JV track team next year," Nini babbled on excitedly without noticing Ricky's groan to stay in bed.

"Ugh fine I'll get up but I really don't like this part of gym class. I'll meet you downstairs," Ricky yawned again and walked over to his closet to pick out an outfit.

He didn't know why Nini was so energetic and excited about today. The mile run was just some stupid mandatory thing every middle school-er did every semester. Ricky didn't like running, he just wanted to walk.

A half an hour later, after listening to Nini rant about the track team she wanted to be on in high school, Ricky and Nini finally left for school.

Ricky had time to procrastinate about the mile run since his first class was science and Nini had someone else to rant to about track since she had a different class for her first class.

"Shit. I forget to pack a water bottle," Ricky mumbled as he entered his second class of the day.

"Watch your language Mr. Bowen," A teacher grumbled at him as he wrote on the board.

Ricky ignored the teacher and began to get really thirsty. He wanted to ask if he could go to the water fountain but this teacher didn't like students leaving during his lessons. His next class was gym and he didn't have time to get a drink from the fountain since he had to change into his gym clothes quickly.

On the field where all of the students runners, were lining up Ricky started to sweat even more since the temperature rose as the sun came out. He could feel his throat get tight and even more dry but ignored it. He had to get a good grade and record time for this mile run since he had been missing gym classes lately.

The past few weeks, he spent time with his best friend, Big Red avoiding gym as best as he could. Big Red had a medical note so he had to sit out and do study hall while the other kids did gym class but Ricky didn't have an exception. He just skipped gym class because he didn't like it. Nini started to notice and kept trying to get him to go so his grade wouldn't be an F by the end of the year.

"On your mark, get set, and run," The gym teacher yelled at the students with a whistle command.

Ricky was tired and sweating through his shirt already but started to run with the other students. He could see Nini's ponytail up ahead. She was a fast runner and liked competition, Ricky on the other hand hated running.

After what felt like half an hour but was really only 15 minutes of Ricky slow running, he came to a stop at the side of the field to catch his breath and wipe his forehead on his shirt. He felt like he was going to throw up in the bushes but had to continue on since people were running past him.

Ricky knew that he should've taken his water bottle from the fridge but his mom was usually the one who packed it in his bag for him and he forgot since she left the house weeks earlier.

"Must keep running," Ricky panted and whispered as he bent down near a bush on the side of the track to take a breath.

He swore that he was going to faint or throw up from heat exhaustion and dehydration on the track, but nothing happened besides letting out a few coughs.

"Bowen, keep running!" The gym teacher yelled from the sidelines noticing that the boy had stopped moving.

"Hey Ricky, what's wrong? Why are you bent over?" He heard a familiar voice run towards him.

"Nini, what about your record and your grade in gym class?" Ricky replied with a very hoarse and dry voice as he stood up from his position.

He still felt dizzy and overheated but was happy to see his best friend, Nini.

"You are more important. I just saw that you stop after the teacher yelled at you and notice that you were all the way back at the beginning. Are you feeling alright? You look like you might throw up any second," Nini put a hand on Ricky's back and slowly helped him walk to the bleachers where the teacher was standing.

As the two approached the bleachers, the teacher gave them a stern look and the stared at Ricky's face motioning for him to sit on the bleachers.

"I feel really dizzy and thirsty, I might throw up. I forgot my water bottle this morning and haven't had any water since," Ricky whispered to Nini since he didn't like to talk to the gym teacher.

Before Nini could respond, Ricky turned his head the other direction and started throwing up bile int the grass. The teacher started to get concerned finally and called the school nurse on his phone while Nini held onto Ricky's shirt.

"You okay bud? I don't think you have anything left in your system that's why nothing's coming up," Nini whispered to Ricky as he stopped gagging and wiped his mouth on shirt.

She knew that he didn't like being taken care of but had to do something so she gave him his water bottle to drink since she hadn't touched hers. Ricky drank the entire bottle quickly since he was dehydrated and then nodded at his best friend feeling guilty and ashamed.

"Nurse Amy is busy with a student right now so she can't come to the track. Nini, would you be kind enough to take Ricky to the health center please?" The teacher approached the two kids who were sitting on the bleachers looking tired.

Nini nodded and helped Ricky stand up even though he still felt dizzy. She pat his back a bit so he could cough out whatever he had left in him and smiled at him.

At the nurse's office, Nini stayed with Ricky while he drank three bottles of water and had a granola bar. He felt much better afterwards and didn't look pale or dizzy. The nurse wanted to call his Dad but Ricky told her not to. He wanted to finish the day off since the rest of his classes were with Nini. He knew that he would be safe and she would look out for him.