xiii. sweet dreams

𝐂𝐇𝐀𝐏𝐓𝐄𝐑 𝐓𝐇𝐈𝐑𝐓𝐄𝐄𝐍
ᶦᵐᵃᵍᶦⁿᵉ | ᵉʳᵉⁿ ʲᵃᵉᵍᵉʳ

𝐂𝐇𝐀𝐏𝐓𝐄𝐑 𝐓𝐇𝐈𝐑𝐓𝐄𝐄𝐍ᶦᵐᵃᵍᶦⁿᵉ | ᵉʳᵉⁿ ʲᵃᵉᵍᵉʳ

   "TO THINK COMMANDER PYXIS would go as far as to detain the volunteers," Jean said as he sat amongst Margot, Connie, Armin and Mikasa, referring to the Anti-Marleyan volunteers Pyxis had detained upon returning to Paradis

   "TO THINK COMMANDER PYXIS would go as far as to detain the volunteers," Jean said as he sat amongst Margot, Connie, Armin and Mikasa, referring to the Anti-Marleyan volunteers Pyxis had detained upon returning to Paradis. The room small and only they occupied it, a few chairs and a couch between them as Connie stood by the window, staring out into the night.

   "Since they and the Scouts are so close, we weren't told in advance," Armin suggested.

   "Until Zeke's intentions are made clear, it puts us in a real pickle," Jean added, momentarily glancing down at Margot, whose head was resting on his lap as she stared up at the ceiling, not having said a word. She wasn't sure where her opinion stood with Yelena - the woman had saved her once, but it was difficult to tell where her allegiance really rested. "And Eren's suddenly aboard Zeke's plan. Whatever the two of them talked about is something only they know."

   "Hey," Connie suddenly spoke up, still staring through the window with his back facing the rest of them. "Did that look like Eren to you guys? Not me... that wasn't Eren. If he's made up his mind to side with his half-brother over us..."

   "If he has, then what?" Mikasa asked, turning to Connie.

   "We've gotta be prepared to cut him down if necessary-"

   "I won't let you!" Mikasa's voice had risen, and Connie turned to her with wide, confused eyes. She refused to look at any of them.

   "Are you siding with them too, Mikasa?" Connie questioned in an accusing tone.

   "I just... I don't think it will come to that," Mikasa defended. "Eren cares about us more than anyone. You guys should know that."

   "Does he now?" Margot's tone was quiet, but enough for them to all hear her. She only continued to stare at the ceiling, ignoring everyone's gaze.

   "Maybe that's why he's so hostile to anyone who isn't one of us," Mikasa continued. "He cares too much."

   "That's not it," Jean placed his hand on Margot's shoulder, sensing how tense she was. Her temper wasn't the best, and he didn't want her to do to say anything rash. "No matter how strong you were, the old him tried to keep you off the front lines. But he made Armin destroy the port and pulled both you into the fight. All of us, too - Margot, Connie, Sasha. The ones he called important-"