xiii. hate is a strong word

𝐂𝐇𝐀𝐏𝐓𝐄𝐑 𝐓𝐇𝐈𝐑𝐓𝐄𝐄𝐍
ᶦᵐᵃᵍᶦⁿᵉ | ᵉʳᵉⁿ ʲᵃᵉᵍᵉʳ

(please see author's note at the end about minor changes to the story. it might make more sense to read it before the chapter but it's up to you)

 it might make more sense to read it before the chapter but it's up to you)

BACK TO THE PRESENT...

GRASS. That's what Margot could feel beneath her, fingers sliding through the blades of green as the sunrays above made her reluctant to open her dark grey eyes. Rolling her head to the side, she inhaled deeply as she raised a hand to her face, shielding her eyes before looking at her surroundings. Of course, her hand did little to protect the sensitivity of her eyes and she had to squint.

It was a field with a lake, the gentle sound of the water bringing her some sort of ease. And the sky was clear, a few clouds drifting across the blue. But the closest thing she could see to the right of her was a cottage, similar to the one Kenny had passed to her but not exactly the same. That much she was sure of.

   "You're awake," a voice said, Margot suddenly feeling a presence beside her. "You were asleep for a while, and I didn't want to disturb you."

A smile grew on Margot's face, twisting her body round to face -

Margot woke up again, but this time she was still on the ship, that feeling of peace she had felt bursting almost instantly. Instead of the grass, she felt the bedsheets beneath her, and as far as she could tell she was alone apart from the twins who slept beside her. Sitting up, she pressed a gentle kiss to both of their foreheads.

Carrying the twins in both of her arms, Margot walked out onto the deck. She would've given them to Acantha, but after over a year of not seeing them, she didn't want to unnecessarily part from them. And despite her initial reaction to seeing them again, not wanting to hold or touch them, she wanted to get better. It was hard, but she wanted to believe that she could be a good mother. She just wasn't sure she could be the mother that they deserved.

Margot paused in her steps as she came across Annie and Armin sitting on the deck, both blushing wildly. They both spotted Margot and the twins before she could think to leave and find somewhere else to go, Armin sending Margot a warm smile.

   "How are you feeling, Margot?" Armin asked, standing up. She felt like she had interrupted something but didn't question it.

   "Good. Good as you can be after all this shit," Margot answered. She realised she probably shouldn't cuss in front of the twins, but that was just another thing she had to get used to.

An awkwardness settled where all that could be heard was Carla and Kenny babbling and the crashing of the sea, with Armin looking between Annie and Margot with a sheepish smile. Margot didn't say a word, eyes narrowing slightly. She knew she had to be courteous, all being on the same side now. But it was difficult, which is why she really intended on avoiding Annie and Reiner altogether. It seemed Annie had other ideas.