xvi. just a moment of peace

𝐂𝐇𝐀𝐏𝐓𝐄𝐑 𝐒𝐈𝐗𝐓𝐄𝐄𝐍
ᶦᵐᵃᵍᶦⁿᵉ | ᵉʳᵉⁿ ʲᵃᵉᵍᵉʳ

𝐂𝐇𝐀𝐏𝐓𝐄𝐑 𝐒𝐈𝐗𝐓𝐄𝐄𝐍ᶦᵐᵃᵍᶦⁿᵉ | ᵉʳᵉⁿ ʲᵃᵉᵍᵉʳ

GRASS. That's what Margot could feel beneath her, fingers sliding through the blades of green as the sunrays above made her reluctant to open her dark grey eyes. Rolling her head to the side, Margot inhaled deeply as she raised a hand to her face, shielding her eyes before looking at the surroundings. Of course, her hand did little to protect the sensitivity of her eyes and she had to squint.

It was a field with a lake, the gentle sound of the water bringing her some sort of ease. And the sky was clear, a few clouds drifting across the blue. But the closest thing she could see to the right of her was a cottage, similar to the one Kenny had passed to her but not exactly the same. That much she was sure of.

   "You're awake," a voice said, Margot suddenly feeling a presence beside her. "You were asleep for a while, and I didn't want to disturb you."

A smile grew on Margot's face, twisting her body round to face Eren, who was already peering down at her, laid down on the grass as she was but instead propped up on one elbow. The sun behind his head made it look as if he had a halo, brightening his dark hair that was currently tied back, his eyes bright as he trailed over every single one of her features, as if he were not already familiar with them.

   "Quit looking at me like that," Margot turned away, gave growing flushed. "Your eyes are so intense."

   "You can't look like that and expect me not to look at you," Eren defended, putting a hand on her shoulder and pulling her back to face him again. Rolling her eyes playfully, Margot lifted a hand to touch his face, her thumb rubbing gently on his cheek. He leaned into her touch, giving her that look again.

   "You're acting weird, Eren."

   "How am I?" Eren asked, feeling a little dejected as she removed her hand from his face, sitting up at the same time he did. "I just..."

Margot raised an eyebrow, waiting for him to speak. Why is he acting so strange? She tilted her head, trying to meet his gaze, but his eyes were downcast. It was like he couldn't bear to look at her, a stark contrast from him being unable to look away a few moments ago. Just as she opened her mouth to ask him what was wrong, she felt it.

It was like filling an empty bucket with water. Memories began to fill her head, coming to her all at once in such an overwhelming way that she felt like she was going to fall back, but Eren grabbed both of her wrists, keeping her upright.

She remembered. She remembered it all. The breakup. What happened in Marley. The talk she had with Eren at the table. The rumbling. She remembered it all, all at once. And with the way Eren had finally met her eyes, he knew she had begun to recollect the recent events. The few moments of tranquility she had felt following waking up had gone, and now she didn't know what to feel.