viii. vanished

𝐂𝐇𝐀𝐏𝐓𝐄𝐑 𝐄𝐈𝐆𝐇𝐓
ᶦᵐᵃᵍᶦ | ᵉʳᵉʲᵃᵉᵍᵉʳ

𝐂𝐇𝐀𝐏𝐓𝐄𝐑 𝐄𝐈𝐆𝐇𝐓ᶦᵐᵃᵍᶦⁿᵉ | ᵉʳᵉⁿ ʲᵃᵉᵍᵉʳ

TWO DAYS LATER, the novelty of graduation had worn off and the soldiers were back to doing various tasks and training. But that day, Margot had a bit of spare time and so had a few other soldiers, and so they made their way out to where the main unit of the Scout Regiment would be coming in from an expedition. Margot was excited, as she had never seen them before, but she managed to contain it.

   "Commander Erwin!" A man in the gathered crowd cried out to a tall blonde man who was on his horse, riding at the front of the Scouts. "Did you give those ugly bastards a thrashing?"

   "Look, it's Captain Levi! They say he's like an entire brigade all on his own!"

Margot had heard about Captain Levi in passing, but he seemed a lot shorter than she had imagined, even on top of his horse. He had black hair just like her own, but light blue eyes from what she could see. He also had a rather blank look on his face, almost as if he was in constant annoyance. Beside him was someone taller, with wild-looking light brown eyes and dark brown hair tied up into a ponytail, along with oval-shaped glasses perched on their nose.

They all wore green cloaks on their shoulders, with the Scout Regiment patch sewn into the back. One day I'll be wearing one of those, Margot fantasied.

   "Feel how excited everyone is?" Eren gushed, an excitable look in his eyes. Margot found it endearing seeing how much he admired the Scouts, a big smile on his face. "It's like the crowd just has a different energy now."

   "Well, we are going on five years without an incident," Hanna reminded them. "Seems like a good omen."

   "And you should check out all the cannon upgrades," a tall boy from their class called Franz added. "The sight alone ought to be enough to scare them off."

   "That's the truth," Hanna agreed, looking up at Franz with a glimmer in her eyes. Eren called them out on it without missing a beat.

   "You're in denial because you're a couple? What's that about?" Eren accused. In his mind, their lovey-dovey behaviour was stopping then from seeing the bigger picture. Quickly, Franz and Hanna began to throw their arms about in protest and denial.