Chapter 44 | betrayals

Life sometimes gives you lemons. But I decided to make lemonade of it too late. If only I had decided to do it earlier.

Tears were openly flowing down my face by the time I folded the small piece of paper and gave it to Dane. His malicious smirk ignited my anger, but the emptiness covered every emotion to make me feel something extreme.

" Kill me, now." I whispered, throwing my shoulders back. With a sharp inhale, I shut my eyes for a second, breathing my last breaths and thanking the sky for holding me here.

When my eyelids opened, I found the tip of a gun staring at me. I swallowed.

I was going to die. 

This very second.

Everything was collapsing. The vase was shattering. 

 But did I want to die? Did I really want to give up this life?

Did I have a choice anymore?

My hair tickled my cheeks. The warehouse seemed to close down on me. My heart was clenching with each second. Pindrop silence had coated us.

His smile dropped for a second, letting me in to see that he was also feeling a small sadness. 

Not that I even cared.

But he would now carry the burden of killing the woman he loved, and her daughter. It would ache, it would hurt. 

And I hoped it hurt bad.

Everything turned into a movie scene, all slow -motion. The finger on the trigger moved a milicentimetere each nanosecond.

No. Wait.

I didn't want to die.

I didn't want to leave.

But I could do nothing, as the trigger made its sound.

The sound I have dreaded for my entire life. The sound that killed my mother. The sound that was about to kill me.

I waited for the bullet to come in contact with me.

But it didn't.

My eyes widened as the bullet took another path. Its exterior brushed my hair as it zipped past me, and hit the wall behind me.