Chapter 48 | finally feel alive

Every moment onward was a new day. 

Weeks passed by as if it was a fever dream.

Dane had been caught and put into jail. The burden on my chest had lifted tremendously.

I still wished I could've done something crueler in exchange of murdering my mom and then almost killing me. But I suppose a lifelong jail sentence would do me no harm.

Brady and I had certainly confessed our feelings for one another, but no one knew. There was nothing official yet.

 Perhaps Brady thought I needed some more time to heal, but, little did he know, he was my medicine.Nothing could heal me better than him.

My thoughts were wandering far, as I walked through the campus. I had my next class in about an hour. 

Students walked past me, laughing and shoving each other. I couldn't help but think of how the world goes on... I'm just a small speck of dust compared to the universe. It doesn't matter how much a person is suffering inside, most won't even know. 

Most wouldn't even care.

I kept my head down and swerved right on the corridor. The small narrow hallway was empty. My breathing slowed and I leaned on the wall.

If the world is moving on, so should I.

I put on a smile.

Fake it until you make it.

Until you never realize that it's a true happy smile.

I detached myself from the wall and moved on.

As I sat myself down beside Brady, the butterflies in my stomach rose all over again

All this time, and the thrill he made me feel is never gone.

He had two coffee cups on the table beside him. The cafe was bustling with people looking for their evening snacks. Brady had a two seat table reserved for both of us.

When he looked up and saw me approaching, his face lifted with a shine in those dark blue eyes. The corners of his lips curved into a soft smile. His long dark lashes made shadows over his upper cheek. His beautifully carved face looked angelic with the sun radiating over half of it.

My smile automatically appeared. Sizzling passion burned through my entire body.

I took off my backpack and put it on the ground beside the chair.

" Hey." a gravelly voice sounded across me.

I lifted my head.

" Hi." I said, almost shyly. He pushed a coffee cup to my side, still smiling as if he knew a secret I did not.

After a moment of silence, I couldn't help it.

" Why are you smiling like that?" I demanded.

" Why can't I?" he replied and took a sip of his coffee. We never lost eye contact.