Chapter 20: She Arrived

JUDAH

I paused for a minute to process their message. Their system got fixed just like that? Just as I was ordering? Or maybe... is it because of me?

As I pondered on these thoughts, I unconsciously smiled to myself, "Well, that's more like it."

Whatever the reason is, I'm getting my coffee any time soon. I messaged the guard stationed at the entrance of the building to let them pass, whoever will be delivering my order, and told him that it was "Valley Cafe". He immediately responded with a "Yes, sir". I told Arthur the same thing too. He replied with a thumbs up.

"Alright. Let's get to work."

I went under my desk and opened the secret door to a hidden keypad. I pressed the combination to open the hidden drawer below. It opened and revealed the other laptop I had. It was custom made by my good friend Steve. It had everything, all the storage in the world and several functions from different laptop brands. It also has its own internet and cannot be tracked by anyone, except for me. It contains all my personal, secret files, and is one of my most prized possession.

But it has a backup drive with Steve, so in case this gets lost or broken, I'm good.

"Let's see." I pulled it out and turned it on. It only takes 10 seconds for it to be completely active. I opened the private site I created years ago. It was a site where all macro and microbusiness all over the globe are listed.

I have connections with business licensing offices and social media headquarters. The file is automatically updated whenever a business is created or licensed, online or physical. I also get all there is to know about them, even their stats and sales, and of course... potential, which was the most crucial information.

"Mhm. How about New York." I filtered the search bar to only businesses within the city. There were 12 new registered businesses, 3 online. The mole I had at the Harrisons' headquarters still can't get a damn promotion. I only get so little information every day. Maybe I should replace him? Anyway, he said something about the Harrison board talking about a dealing in Queens. I need to check that out. I need to get to them first.

"Let's see Queens." I checked all the business that have been registered in the last year. There were 35. I filtered it to the ones with steady increasing numbers, and I was left with 9. That's still so many. Should I just make a deal with them all? Ugh, I can't. The paperwork's going to be hell and Kingston can't afford that much in one go. I got one step ahead of the Harrisons for only two times. As for the others, they got to sign those businesses first, and I have no choice left but to sign in another business, maybe two, just to compete.

Most would go by the numbers. The one with the highest potential to succeed will be chosen to make a deal with the company. But the Harrisons... they don't. Sometimes, they would even go with low numbers. I don't understand how they do it. They've had their share of signing in businesses that eventually failed, but they seem to never lose anything. But I can't take those risks. I can't compromise the successful streak Kingston has had in the past years.

I felt a sudden headache as I stared at my screen. I leaned back and let out a subtle groan, "Dad. I need you right now." I mumbled, turning to the picture on my shelf. It was me and my dad, Alistair Kingston. 

It was the day I got promoted to CEO. He was already in a wheelchair, but he forced himself to stand up and put his hands around my shoulders to take one last photo. I always laugh whenever I see the wheelchair tipped over in the background.

He was the one who taught everything I need, my guide and counsel. He was a good businessman, who created Kingston and turned me into a magnate when he passed it on to me. I would go to him whenever I'm backed into a corner, then he would help me make a decision and everything would work out.

"I wish you were here." I whispered to no one, "You would know what to do, what to choose."

I took my laptop and turned it to face the portrait, "So dad. Which business do you think the Harrisons will go for?"

I waited for a few minutes, as if he'll answer or something. But of course, he won't.

"It's Summerville County Fair."

I froze.

Did he just...answer?!

My eyes shot straight up, widening as it looked upon the photo. It was impossible. And...it was a woman's voice. Suddenly, I felt a new presence in the room. A person, not an apparition. I turned to the door and saw it open. Standing there was a woman with an apron, a cap and a paper bag in her hand. She closed the door and stepped in closer to the light, removing her cap and letting her pale blonde hair fall down her face.

Wait. Pale blonde?

It's her.

"Here's your order, Mr. Kingston." She smiled, lifting the bag and showing it to me.

Well, I'll be damned. "Liv Grey..." But then it dawned on me, "Wait...did you just say Summerville County Fair?"

"But you..." I quickly went to my laptop to check the list of the remaining businesses. Sure enough, Summerville County Fair was there. It was on the third rank in potentials. How was she able to say that? She's just a local girl who works in a local cafe. She just serves coffee. But she just responded to my question? And it was here. Summerville was here.

"How did you..." I turned to her, trying to remain as calm as possible. She knows this. She's not just some coffee girl. No records, no detected information, no faces...except for the one that looks similar to hers... Could it be?

"You. Who are you?"

She smirked, setting the bag down the chair beside her. Then, she removed her apron, revealing the somewhat formal attire she had underneath. She also took out a large envelope out of the pocket of her apron. Slowly, she treaded towards my table as she spoke.

And what she said next was something I suspected, but never thought it would be true. I knew it deep down. But it was still unbelievable...

"My real name's Olivia. Olivia Reagan. I think you might know me."