Chapter 48: They Disappeared

OLIVIA

"Here's your order, ma'am. Hope you enjoy your meal."

As the waitress set down our food, Judah and Isabella engaged in an enthusiastic conversation. After their meeting on the street, Judah invited Isabella to lunch. Our lunch. Apparently, she was an old friend of his from before he was Judah Kingston. Isabella Molina. She used to be his neighbor and schoolmate— an eight-grader while he was in the fourth.

"I can't believe I'm in the presence of The Judah Rodriguez, the golden boy."

"Isabella, please. Not in front of my wife." He chuckled shyly.

"Being the smartest boy at school is nothing to be ashamed about, Rodriguez." Isabella smiled, "But it's Kingston now, right?"

"It is. But enough about me. How are you? I heard you moved to Texas. What are you doing in New York?"

"Oh, I'm just here for Gloria's wedding. It was yesterday. You remember her, right?"

"Ah, yes. Gloria. That girl from your clique who was obsessed with the Spice Girls."

"Still is. Guess what her wedding song is."

"What?"

"An acoustic version... of Wannabe."

The two laughed out loud—their laughter reaching as far as two tables. Judah even slammed the table once. I tried to smile and laugh with them, but I somehow couldn't. So, I just grabbed the milkshake and took a sip from the straw. I accidentally met eyes with Isabella. I don't know if it's this unspoken connection between women, but it felt like she noticed how awkward I was feeling.

She faked a cough, "Well, enough about that. I want to know more about the famous wife. Via, how did you meet Judah?"

Judah turned to me with a proud smile on his face. I prepared my Russian accent for the fake story.

"Ah, well. We met when he was on business in Russia. I had a small cafe. He went there and we just started talking."

"Awww..." She gushed across the table, "How did you know you were in love? And that he's the one?"

"Ah...w-well...I just knew..." I stammered. Damn it. What happened to me? I'm good at speaking when it comes to business related stuff. I can even make up something on the spot. Why can't I make up something up for her question?

Judah put an arm around me, "She's the best person I know. She's beautiful, smart, a brilliant businesswoman, and she's the one I treasure the most. I... love her."

My heart paced as his gaze softened, and as his hand squeezed my shoulder lightly. However, at the same time, I felt a stinging pain inside me. It was a familiar pain. One that I swore I'd never feel again.

What he said sounded so real, I just might fall for it. It sounded so true, and I couldn't help but want it to be just that— true.

But we're in public right now. I know it's just an act.

Better respond properly.

"I love you too." I smiled, cupping his cheek.

He leaned into my hand and kissed my palm. Isabella squealed like a high school girl as she watched us.

"You guys are so adorable. I wish my husband and I were more like you. For a time, we were, but after two kids, things just change. But it's all still great."

Judah's eyes widened in surprise, "You have kids? That's great! You always loved kids. You used to do babysitting jobs all the time."

"Yes. I have two boys"—she took her phone out, showing the family picture she had for a lock screen— "The older one's Mario. The younger is Luigi."