Chapter 50.5: It Was a Bad Lunch

OLIVIA

I kept staring at my phone, waiting for Judah to call or text. My fingers kept tapping on the table like it was a piano. I was restless. I decided to keep my distance from him, go back to our much more professional relationship, to save myself no matter how this whole thing turns out.

But it was harder than I thought it would be. Pushing him away weighed down my heart greatly.

"Why isn't he texting me, Arthur?"

"Quit being dramatic. His flight only left 20 minutes ago."

"I know," I rolled my eyes at him and sighed. "Do you think he felt bad?"

He took a bite of his steak before answering, "Of course not. After all, you just pushed him away after sleeping with him. I'm sure the kid didn't feel like a cheap man-whore."

I glared at him, "You're not helping."

"Wasn't trying to. It's your fault."

I let out a frustrated groan and slammed on the table, "Damn it!" Good thing we were in a private room in the restaurant.

After Judah left, Arthur and I went to Kings' Place to have our meeting about the Harris-Moore project, since he'll be driving me around; and before me and all the others, he was the closest thing to a secretary for Judah.

We meant to talk about business but I ended up ranting about my own frustrations. Arthur listened, with much irritation and without a single helpful thought.

"So much for being a good partner," I mumbled to myself.

Arthur took a sip of his coffee, from the tumbler he always had in his car. He took it with him.

"Look, kid. You won't get any work done like that. I suggest you fix things with Jude first."

"How? He's miles away right now. He doesn't land for a few hours. He's gonna be in airplane mode—"

"Then surprise him."

"Wha—follow him to Amsterdam?"

He sighed, exasperated, "You're irritatingly slow. What do you think made him upset?"

"Well... I rejected him, I guess. When he tried to touch me, I backed away as if he wasn't allowed to... anymore."

"Exactly," he took one last bite of his steak, finishing his plate. "The answer is simple then—assure him that he's still allowed."

"Assure him?"

"Yeah. Let him know you and him can still... you know."

I thought about it for a second. It's not like I want to stop sleeping with my husband. With Judah. Never. But finally admitting to myself that I love him and then sleeping with him? That's a different story. It makes things more serious, deeper. More dangerous for me.

But I don't want Judah to feel bad for a whole week. What if he won't be able to focus on the Investor's Meet because of me?

I turned to Arthur once more and asked, "How? A... flirty text message?"

"Up to you. Is that enough?"

I recalled how upset Judah was before he left, "No. I don't think so. What do I send him then?"

To my surprise, Arthur shot me a knowing smirk before darting his gaze shortly to my chest then to my phone. Then he looked away and coughed.

My heart sped up, "No."

"It's up to you, kid."

I crossed my arms over my chest in horror, "That is so undignified! I've never done that before. And what if someone tracks Judah's phone?!"