Chapter 5: Wrecking ball

Daniel

The good thing about living in a small town is that you learn your way around it pretty quickly. We had to stay away from the humans while discovering a way to run back to our pack compound where we would be safe, since both of us were in our wolf forms.

After we left the school, we ran to the woods as fast as we could. Luckily, there wasn't enough time for people to be frightened if they ever saw us running. But we tried to avoid the main streets as much as we could.

Eventually, we reached the pack compound and since everyone there knows our wolves - it's not my first time walking in my wolf form - they let us in without a problem. Plus, any wolf from our pack is allowed inside the compound. It's open to anyone who needs it, even if they live somewhere else in town. It's all one pack after all.

But when my father got wind - literally, as he scented our presence - of us entering the pack house, as we walked inside he came at us fuming.

"What the hell are you two doing here like this at this hour?" - Dad yelled. My mom came and tried to deescalate the situation, like she always does.

"Calm down, mi amor, I'm sure they have a perfectly good explanation..." - She pondered, soft spoken.

"Sorry, sir." - Nate mind linked us. - "It's my fault, really. I couldn't refrain from the transformation, I've found my mate." - He explained, which in turn made my parents' faces change completely.

"You've found your mate? At school? How? You've been there for months after you turned 18 and never sensed her!" - My dad gasped, he and mom were gobsmacked.

"I think she transferred today, actually. She was new to our school. But I caught her scent even before she got to our classroom. The problem was: once she came in, my wolf took control and I couldn't help it no matter how hard I tried!" - Nate explained it to us through the link, my parents' faces already looked cheerful with the news.

"That's okay, son. I know how it goes when you find your mate." - My dad said as he looked passionately at my mom. - "The pheromones in her scent drive your wolf crazy, it can't be stopped. Did anyone see you shift?" - He inquired, worry now colors his tone.

"I took him down before he could reach the girl, who got spooked by him. I covered Nate when he started to shift and the boys and I carried him out of the school. But it freaked everyone out in the classroom and I think she saw his eyes going dark." - I mind linked them, trying to lay all the cards on the table.

"Is she the daughter of any pack member? Did you know someone new was coming into the pack? - My mom asked dad, looking at him puzzled.

"No, of course not. I would have told you, I know how you like to welcome everyone yourself." - My dad replied, looking deep into her eyes.

"She's not from our pack..." - Nate said in the link, sounding defeated. - "She is... human." - His wolf lowered its head in disappointment.

"Human. Oh Dios mío!" - Mom exclaimed, perplexed. - "Are you sure, son?" - Both my parents gasped when hearing this.

"Yes, Luna. Unfortunately, her scent is unmistakably human." - Nate replied in the saddest tone I've ever heard from him.

"We'll talk about this later. Go to the locker room, take a shower, both of you. Your mom will bring you some clothes in the meantime." - My father ordered. I get that he didn't want to extend the issue any longer, seeing how deeply it affected Nate. Poor boy.

And with that, our wolves walked through the pack house towards the warriors' locker room. At this hour, it was empty. When we got there, we shifted back into our human forms. Nate looked desolated. I couldn't bear to see him like this, so I moved to hug him, with some distance to our lower extremities, ignoring the fact that we're both naked. We're brothers after all. Not by blood, but in every other sense of the word.

 Not by blood, but in every other sense of the word

"A human?" - He croaked, sounding devastated.

"Yes, she's human. And yes, that's gonna be difficult. But not impossible." - I comforted him. - "It's not like it's unheard of having a human mate, it's more challenging that's all." - I argued, trying my best to offer some solace.

"Challenging?" - He gasped. - "Did you see how she looked at me? How scared she was? How am I supposed to get around that? At least, if she were a werewolf she would've understood it. Hell, we'd probably be half way through our mating by now..." - He pondered, still deeply sad.

"OK, first of all, don't think about mating right now, we're naked and there are things a brother doesn't need to see." - I snickered, which put a smile on his face. Fortunately, we're very comfortable around each other as we grew up shifting in the woods ever since we were 13. Alongside our friends who were at the school with us.

"Also, you've heard the Alpha. Let's go take a shower before mom comes in here with our clothes." - I said to him as I physically directed him to the shower area. It's in a different part of the locker room, so mom could drop our clothes here and still not see us there.

As we entered the showers, Nate looked at me with misty eyes.

"Do you really think there's a chance for us? Be honest!" - He asked, but something in his tone told me this wasn't one of the times people wanna hear the truth.

"I truly hope so, brother. I really do." - I replied as sincerely as I could. I'm honestly rooting for him. But this promised to be a real uphill battle, not gonna lie.

A|N: Darn, awkward.

Love,

Léo.