Bonus Chapter: I don't want to be | One | There's nothing holding me back

Daphne, MD

16 years later

I'm nervous. Nate's a wreck. He woke up at 5 a.m. today and went for a run. Yes, a wolf run. Unfortunately, I wasn't afforded that same option so I cooked. Yes, I, Daphne Elizabeth Ford Underwood, MD, cooked to relax. Who knew? I guess you could say people evolve over time.

Especially if they gave birth while still in college and had to manage finish studying, nevertheless. But that's the way the cookie crumbled. And there's no way I'd go through another abortion. I just couldn't do that to Nate, even if he had to take care of his son while I went to med school and did my residency, which he did with a LOT of help. I just couldn't give up on my dream to become a doctor like my mom and I'm glad he understood that.

Fast forward 13 years and here we are. Two sons, aged 13 and 9. My pride and joy. The twinkle in their father's eyes. Nate's an excellent dad. Granted, having to care for a new born wasn't a peace of cake. It never is, but especially as a new dad doing it solo, mostly. But that forced him to get the handle of things quickly and by the time we had another one, he was an expert.

Which brings us to today, John's first full moon ceremony as a teenager. Remember when Dan said that when a human is mated to a werewolf there's a 50/50 chance that their offspring don't become wolves? Well, tonight is the night my son discovers if he is one like his father.

Since he didn't turn into a werewolf til now, 13 is the age limit for the first shift. If he doesn't turn tonight, he is a human like his mother. Nate wouldn't admit it to my face but that would devastate him. Not only he's looking forward to father and son runs, but he also has a somewhat unrealistic expectation that John will become the Beta of the pack, even tough he's 2 years younger than Dan's children.

As you probably know by now, humans can't be Betas. So you can see why he's so anxious for tonight. Later, I knock at the boys' bedroom to wake them up. It's Saturday, but I had a shift at the hospital where I work along side my mother. Doctor's life, you know.

Nate returned from his run and hopped in the shower before he got ready to take the boys to the pack house. As promised, we got our own house inside the compound. A nice, white picked fence, 2 bedrooms and a yard for the boys to play. To be honest, when we rented it we didn't know we're gonna have a second son. But Nate couldn't keep it in his pants. Damn werewolves and their giant... you get the point.

We eat our breakfast and I can see the worried look on John's face, my oldest son. I can only imagine the pressure he must be feeling.

"Hey, pay attention to me!" - I said it as I grab his head gently and make him turn to face me. - "You are enough to us, just as you are, no matter what happens tonight. Know this: you'll always be our beloved son!"

"Yeah, to you perhaps..." - He croaked, looking down. I glared at Nate.

"To me too, son. You don't have to worry about being anything other than who you already are. I love you no matter what!" - Nate told him, patting his back.

"Now, get ready to go to the pack house, mama has to go to work. And I can't leave you two home wreckers alone!" - He snickered.

Nate

I arrive with the boys at the pack house and go straight to the dining hall. At this hour, everyone is still eating breakfast. The table looked a lot different 16 years on. Now, new unmated wolves and warriors crowded the pack house. Denise refused to get a place of her own and still lived here with her mate, Tony Williams, and their two toddlers. So did Damon, the youngest of the Huntingtons who is now 24. Gasp! And of course the Alpha couple and their twins.