Chapter 47: Without you

Daphne

They say twins have a special bond. They share a womb together so that means they share a connection. That may never be so true as it is right now.

Days have passed since Felix's accident and I was devastated. I watched him rooked to so many equipments in a hospital bed, just lying there still with his eyes closed. I might as well be in coma with him.

I tried very hard not blame the pack or Nate, but I couldn't even look at him. Honestly, I just couldn't deal with it. He was heartbroken, of course, but no one was more devastated than Dan. He wouldn't leave his side, even when the nurses told him visiting hours was over. They literally had to threatened him with calling security.

"Hi, Daph. Have you eaten today?" - Mom asks as she walks in the room. I was sat next to Felix's bed. Dan had gone to the bathroom.

"I'm not hungry, mom." - I tell her but she's not convinced.

"You need to eat. I can't handle having two children get sick." - She said in an amusing tone.

"I'll eat later, I promise. I just can't leave his side. I can't believe this happened." - I say while tears fell from my eyes.

"I knew there were wolves in this town, but it never occurred me that they attacked humans. I mean, Felix couldn't hurt a fly." - Mom said, she came near Felix and caressed his face.

"They usually don't attack humans. But this wolf was not from our town. Good afternoon, Dr. Ford." - Dan said as he entered the room.

"How do you know he's not from town?" - Mom asked him, looking puzzled.

"As you know, my family has a non profit organization that cares for wild animals. We treat them when they get injured and release back to the nature. We conducted extensive research, we know the local animals. And that was not one." - Dan explained very convincingly, which tells me this is not his first time explaining such things to humans.

"Wow! I did not know that. I mean, I knew about the non-profit but not that you conducted such extensive research. I mean, you barely out of high school." - Mom replied. Dan laughs.

"Obviously I didn't conduct the research, Dr. Ford. The people from our organization did, but I read about it, so I'm familiar." - He rebuked.

"I see. Well, I only wish that this made any difference to Felix's condition. But unfortunately..." - She trailed off while caressing Felix's cheek. - "I'm just glad you were able to find him when you did, I mean otherwise he'd lose too much blood and..."

"I'd find Felix anywhere Dr. Ford, I love him. I just went looking for him as soon as I got word we had rogues in our land." - Dan spoke with confidence, he took a seat at the couch on the corner of the room.

"You're certainly weren't kidding with the research. I can't believe you monitor the land for rogue animals." - Mom stated, she was still baffled by all this.

"We do. I don't have to tell the danger that is when you introduce foreign bodies to local habitats." - Dan explained. He seemed in a good mood talking about this stuff and he was so prepared, so convincing it was scary. You'd think the kid had a PhD or something.

"Certainly not. Well, I have to make my rounds now. You kids be good." - She told us and left.

"How are you doing, Daph?" - Daniel asked me. I could hear the worry in his tone, just not for me.

"Hanging in there." - I tell him, saddened.

"I know you said to Nate..."

"Dan, no offense, but I don't have time for Nate right now. I have to be here for my brother." - I interrupted him. I was testy and didn't have time to discuss my relationship.