Chapter 6: To be with you

Nate

When you are a werewolf, you're raised with this idea that when you turn 18 you'll find the love of your life, who pray tell you may never have met before. They teach you that the Moon Goddess chooses your soulmate as she chose for every single werewolf that has ever lived. Since the beginning of time.

Of course, you're not blind, you see it as a kid how your parents behave around each other: the loving, the touching, the affection. And not only your own parents but every single couple you see from the pack. And so, with this vast proof, you believe it. Until comes a time when it's supposed to happen to you.

So much for my happy ending...

As expected - at least that part was true - I couldn't take my mind off the girl from school. It's funny how someone you've never met before in your life suddenly becomes the one thing you can't stop thinking about.

Her face, her features, her hair, all of it. The day passed by in a blur. Next thing I know, it's morning already and mom is banging at the door. That woman is an excellent alarm clock.

"Did you get any sleep?" - Dad asked me at the table, as we ate. Dan perked up his ears at the question.

"Not at all. I couldn't take my mind off her." - I replied emphatically, in case it wasn't obvious by my drowsy eyes. I'm sleep deprived, but unfortunately I have no choice but to face school.

"I remember when your father found your mother for the first time, honest to Goddess, those 2 locked in each other's gazes as if there was no one else in the room... And of course after that, they locked themselves in a bedroom and didn't leave for 3 days." - Dad said, casually.

"Dad! We're eating!" - Daniel complained, making a disgusted face.

I tried to smile at the memory, though it's not very comforting at the moment. My biological father was the former Beta. He and my mom were killed in a coordinated attack on our pack, so the Alpha couple adopted me and raised me as one of their own. I was five at the time.

"Thanks, Alpha. But I don't think we're locking ourselves up anytime soon. Not unless she called the police on me." - I said in a saddened but joking tone.

"Which she can easily do since her father is the new Chief of Police." - Denise informed us, which obviously made everybody gasp. And I do mean everyone, even the unsuspecting people down the table.

"What?!" - I, Daniel, the Alpha and Luna said in unison, absolutely shocked.

"Oh my Goddess! Not only you're mated to a human, but her father is the freaking Police Chief!" - Dad shouted, which in turn made everyone at the table stare at me instantly.

"Dad, calm down, it's not like it's his fault!" - Dan defended me, angrily.

"I must have done something to offend the Goddess, if she's punishing me like this!" - Dad cried out, almost with his hands up in prayer.

"Excuse-me, everyone." - I said as I got up from the table and exited the dining hall, visibly distraught.

"Dad, what the fuck! You're making him feel worse than he already is!"- Daniel shouted, looking at his father furiously. He also moves to leave the table.

"Language, Daniel!" - Mom chastised him before he left. - "It's not the end of the world, mi amor. I'm sure we'll manage it like we always do. Plus, the Goddess would never punish you with a mate pairing, you know it doesn't work like that." - Her super power was to say just the right thing to calm him down.

Daniel tried to dismiss our father's words, but I told him it's okay. He's just nervous. I am too, especially with this new information. But all I could think about was to see her.

Later at school, things weren't business as usual. By now, everyone has heard of my little outburst in the classroom. Those who were from the pack understood what happened, but the majority didn't. They whispered as I walked by the halls. When I saw her eventually, I approached her as calmingly as I possibly could.

"Hi, there. Can I talk to you for a minute? I'd like to explain my behavior from yesterday." - I said as reassuringly as I could, but her brother stood himself between us. And he's looking mad.

"Are you crazy? Get away from my sister, you pervert!" - He shouted, angrily.

"I am not a pervert, I promise. I was never going to do anything to her, I swear to you." - I said while trying to be respectful, but that just made his face twist in disgust.

"I swear to you, if you don't get away from us right now, I'm going to take this to the principal's office until you're either expelled or arrested!" - Now he was fuming. As I didn't want to escalate things even further, I started backing down and away from them.

"I am deeply sorry for my brother's behavior yesterday, I promise you he didn't mean any harm to your sister." - Daniel interjected and suddenly the boy was mesmerized. He only had eyes for my brother and I took this opportunity to take another shot.

"If you could give me a chance, I promise you I can explain everything." - I pleaded, looking her deeply in the eyes.

"Fine, whatever. We can talk after school is over. But I'm not meeting you alone." - She finally agreed, which made me sigh in relief.

"I'll go with you, don't worry." - Her brother replied, looking at me like I was a menace.

"Actually, I prefer to take my sister, if you don't mind. I think maybe you'd be more calm with another girl there." - I said to them, smiling awkwardly while pointing at Denise who wasn't that far away from us.

"So be it, but if you try anything weird I don't care how tall you are, I know martial arts, I'll beat your ass!" - She threatened me in a feisty tone.

"Of course. I won't, I promise you." - I said as I took my leave, beaming at the chance to talk to her.

Honestly, I didn't know how she would react and all things considered, it wasn't that bad. At least, she agreed to talk to me. That is a win. Now, I stand a chance with my mate. But this is gonna be tricky to explain to her.

But I have no other choice, she's my mate. My one and only.

And I'll be damned if I'm gonna lose her without a fight!

A|N: Way to go, Nate!

Good luck.

Love,

Léo.