Chapter 7: Against all odds

Daphne

"You're gonna meet with him? Do you have a death wish or something?" - My brother, the drama queen, shouted at me. We're still in school, just before class starts.

"Okay, calm down! What is he going to do to me on school grounds?" - I replied in an assured tone. Though I wasn't completely sure, to be honest.

"How the fuck should I know? You're not meeting that creep alone! And that's final!" - He retorted in a determined tone, not budging.

"That's final... who are you, dad?" - I snickered. - "I'm not meeting him alone, his sister will be with us." - I argued, annoyed at him.

"I'm not leaving school without you. If you don't want me there, I'll wait for you outside but I'm not leaving without you and if you insist anymore, I'll call dad." - Felix threatened, annoyingly self-assured. I could see he wasn't gonna change his mind.

"Fine, you're such a pain in my ass!" - I complained loudly, poking him in the face.

"Of course, I am. I have to keep you alive as you're my only friend." - He said it as a joke even though it's true.

"That's just sad. You need to find some friends ASAP!" - I replied, amusingly.

"I'll get right on it. As soon as you meet the pervert." - He snickered, laughing at me.

"He's not a pervert!" - I rebuked. - "At least, I don't think so." - After that, we went to class as we were already late.

Honestly, I'm kind of intrigued about what explanation he could possibly offer me for his behavior.

Much later, outside of the school, he was there with his sister as promised. Felix stood outside the gate, waiting for me.

"Hi, Nate Underwood. Nice to meet you. Can we walk? My sister is going to be right behind us, if you need anything, I promise." - He started, extending his hand for me to shake, which I do, suspiciously.

"Hi, my name is Daphne Ford and you should know my dad is the new Chief of Police. There's not a place on Earth you could hide that he wouldn't find you, if you try anything with me." - I deadpan, raising an eyebrow in suspicion of him.

"Oh, I believe you. But I promise you, your well-being is at the top of my priority." - He replied in such a serious tone that I almost believed him.

"You don't know me enough to be your top priority!" - I exclaimed, looking him in the eyes with a curious stare as we started walking.

"That's fair. Let me begin by apologizing to you for yesterday. I didn't mean to make you uncomfortable." - He said with a serious expression on his face.

"What happened yesterday? And what was wrong with your eyes? They were pitch black!" - I spoke in a worried loud tone.

"Well, I have a medical condition that makes my eyes turn dark in certain situations..." - He started, but I interrupted him, laughing.

"Medical condition? Okay, you should also know that my mom is a doctor, so I'm not gonna accept whatever bullshit excuse you spill at face value!" - I spat at him. I'm not going to let him get away easily. Hell no!

"Wow! Okay, fair enough, but I do have a condition. I'm not lying." - He sounded sincere. - "In fact, I'll never lie to you." - He stated with such certainty in his voice that it almost shook me.

"Okay, dude." - I downplayed it. "You're not the first boy I met in my life. If there's anything I know is that men lie." - I told him, but his face is so sincere it's hard to keep my stand.

"That is true, Daphne. We usually do. But I'm not like most men and you mean too much to me to see you hurt." - He declares in a sweet voice.

"Dude, you literally just met me! Can you stop talking like we've known each other forever? It's really freaking me out! - I yelled, visibly disturbed.

"Okay, I'm sorry. It's just difficult for me to explain why I behaved the way I did. It's much easier between my people." - He said and it made me laugh. If it was his brother, sure, he's a 'minority'. But unless I'm blind, this boy is as white as me.

"Between your people?" - I said in a sarcastic tone. - "Who are your people? Hot blondes?" - I snickered.

"Do you think I'm hot?" - He asked with the biggest grin I've seen so far on his face.

"That's beside the point! You didn't answer my question!" - I replied angrily, trying to dig myself out of this predicament.

"If I tell you something, can you promise me to never repeat it to another human being?" - He asked in the most serious tone I've heard from him so far.

"I promise." - I replied. I was already nervous of his upcoming revelation.

"Do you swear? I mean, cross your heart and hope to die." - He insisted, dead seriously.

"Jesus! Are you in the mafia or something?! You know my dad is a cop, right?" - I smirked.

"Just swear!" - He replied, impatiently.

"Okay, fine I swear. Cross my heart and hope to die." - I said as I signal the holy trinity.

"I am a werewolf." - He confessed, which of course only makes me laugh out loud. I even stopped walking as I laughed so hard.

"Wow, dude. I have to give it to you, I did not see this coming. You were so serious for a minute, I actually thought you were going to be real with me." - I stated, mistrust dripping from my voice.

"I am being serious!" - He shouted. But by now, we've been walking so far that there's no one near us, except for his sister a good distance away, walking behind us.

"Of course you are. Is this the part where you tell me vampires exist too? OMG! Is there a hot vampire you can introduce me to? I've always dreamed of being Bella." - I snickered with an amused smile plastered on my face.

"I see where you're going with this, but I'm sorry to say: vampires don't exist." - He replied as if he was breaking the news to me.

"I know they don't, dude! That's why it's called a fantasy! Neither do werewolves!" - I yelled, gesticulating so maybe he gets my point across.

"I can prove it to you. There's just one caveat." - He said with a devious smile on his face.

"I can't wait to hear this. What is it?" - I replied with disbelief in my tone.

"Well, in order for me to prove it to you, I'd have to shift into a werewolf. And for me to turn into one, I have to be naked." - He said in a matter of fact tone and I've just lost it. Completely.

A|N: Woof. Good one, Nate!

If I were you, I'd turn the page right now to find out Daphne's reaction to that proposal.

It's about to go down!

Love,

Léo.