Chapter 14: You Don't Even Know It

Daniel

I didn't recognize myself. I don't know why I got so angry, honestly. I mean, I didn't like the insinuation that guy made, of course. But that shouldn't be enough reason for me to almost kill someone. Nothing rarely is.

Nate asked me if I was okay after that, I said I was but honestly I'm not so sure. Ever since that weird dream, my mind is playing tricks on me. I'm nearly 18 years old, I am a werewolf, I have been around naked guys pretty much since I first shifted when I hit puberty.

All my friends and I shift together at least once every two weeks. I've seen them naked. I've seen plenty of guys nude before and I never, not once, have demonstrated any desire towards them whatsoever. Yes, I'm from a small town in Texas, but it's not like I've never seen a gay person before... Hell, even Nate has a biological aunt who is a lesbian.

It just never registered with me that I could possibly be one. Still doesn't. I love Lauren, she's the one that I want, the love of my life. She's even the Beta's daughter. There's no better candidate for Luna than her.

It's lunch time at our school. Lauren, Nate, Denise, Mike, Carl, Tom and I are eating at our usual table.

"So, did your mom start preparations for your 18th birthday yet?" - Lauren asked while we started to eat.

"She has been preparing for the golden boy's 18th birthday ever since he was born." - Denise snickered in a sour tone.

"Yeah, I think it's safe to say she's preparing quite the feast. It's going to be our announcement." - I replied to Lauren, intertwining our hands over the table.

"That's the hope. Are you feeling any different towards me? My dad said that when he was near 18, he dreamed about my mother almost everyday." - Lauren wondered, causing an awkward vibe between my siblings and I, especially Denise who choked on her food. She coughed for a little while and I gave her a menacing stare.

"Really, baby? No, I don't feel any different towards you but then again, I already love you. So, there's not much to change." - I responded, looking at her with a loving gaze.

"What was that look between you two when I mentioned dreaming?" - Lauren questioned, looking at me and Denise suspiciously, despite my best effort.

"What look?" - I played dumb. But of course that's not gonna fly. Not with someone who knows me so well anyway. We've been dating steadily for almost 4 years.

"Daniel Aguilar Huntington, you know what look I'm talking about! Even Nate's looking at you weird!" - By now, she was speaking angrily. And there's no sign that she's letting go of this topic...

"It's nothing, really. It's just that the other day I had a weird dream and I mentioned it to everyone during breakfast. That's why Denise gave me a look just now, I swear." - I explained to her, though she didn't look very convinced.

"Is this true, Denise?" - Lauren asked her and she didn't know where to look, my sister was so uncomfortable by this line of conversation.

"Yes, Lauren, it is. It's just a coincidence of events. That's why I gave him the look." - Denise replied, uncomfortably.

"You know I don't lie to you. I don't know why you felt the need to ask her." - I whispered, but I knew everyone at the table heard it. There was hurt in my voice.

"And who did you dream with? Was it with me?" - She asked me point blank, eagerly.

"That's not relevant, it was just a dream." - I downplayed it. But that made it worse.

"Oh my Goddess! You dreamed with another girl! That's why you didn't want to tell me about it! That's why Denise gave you that look! Who is she?" - Lauren was livid. She was making a way bigger deal than it had to be.

At this, Nate stood up, clearly bothered by this discussion, and said:

"OK, maybe we should let them both talk about this in private." - He suggested it, blushing.

Everyone starts to get up as well, but I yell at them:

"Everybody sit back down!" - Nate, Denise and my friends sit down again. But they all looked extremely uncomfortable to be there witnessing this.

"There's nothing to talk about! This is ridiculous! You're making a way bigger deal at this than it should!" - I exclaimed, pleadingly. My voice was almost crying.

"I'm making a big deal because you won't tell me who the fuck did you dream with!" - She yelled at me. Her eyes were nearly black she was so pissed off.

"It doesn't matter! It's only a dream!" - I pleaded, voice breaking overrun with emotions and extreme vulnerability. I tried to reach out for her hand, but she recoiled it.

"Nate, did he tell you who he dreamed of?" - Lauren turned to him, questioning as if a detective on a police case.

"No, I swear! But I didn't ask. I didn't think much of it at the time." - Nate replied with his signature honesty, I could tell he tried to help me out.

But there was no helping me now. Lauren was livid because of this stupid dream. By now, everyone in the cafeteria was intrigued by our argument. And we certainly were loud enough for everybody to overhear it, even non werewolves.

"OK, so if you didn't tell Nate, you sure as hell didn't tell Denise and you didn't tell me... I just want to know why." - She inquired, fiercely. As she said that, my sister all but confirmed what she had just spoken with her innocent façade.

"We talk literally everyday, there's not a subject we don't talk about. I even know when you masturbate." - She crossed the line, but I could tell she was beside herself. Not that it made me any less uncomfortable, especially next to my siblings.

Everybody was embarrassed. Nate, Denise, Mike, Carl and Tom couldn't even look at me. Things were so bad, the entire school was watching our heated discussion play out.

At the same time, Daphne and Felix were approaching our table.

"That was unnecessary, Lauren! You didn't need to embarrass me in front of the entire school! Especially over this!" - I said, genuinely broken. My eyes were misty, I was so hurt I could barely look at her.

As I'm about to get up, I see Daphne and Felix approaching near our table. While Felix walks, someone sticks a foot out and trips him. He fell and was about to hit his head on our table when I got up as fast as I could and held his body as it fell, his head an inch from hitting the table deadly.

Everybody watched the scene and gasped in shock. I lifted him up immediately and say:

"Watch where you're going!" - He looked stunned, barely processing what had just happened. But Daphne was fuming. Just not at me, thankfully.

"What the fuck, dude?! Why did you do this? You do know he could have died!" - She yelled at the guy who tripped him.

"We don't want him or his kind here! Good riddance!" - The guy yelled back at her, as he stood up to face her.

"His kind? What is this place? The 1950's?" - She clapped back at him, sarcastically.

They started trading insults to each other and I see Nate getting angry because of this. But I move ahead of him and punch the guy, who fell hard backwards. At this moment, the vice-principal arrives at the cafeteria and stares at the scene in complete horror.

A|N: Violence is never the answer.

But that guy really deserved it! 😮

It's funny how I wrote this chapter around this song and it's really a perfect match.

No one really knows it, especially not Lauren. But that'll change soon.

Love,

Léo.