Chapter 26 - Duke

The charred remnants of what was meant to be my namesake were crumbling under my feet as I walked through the diminished halls of the west wing. I felt a burden on my shoulders, and I knew that it would leave me once I had my hands around Camden's throat.

"Are you alright, son?" I felt my father's firm hand on my shoulder, and it relaxed me a little, but I was still pissed.

"Nope. Can't say that I am. This is getting outta hand now, Daddy."

"I know, Duke, but luckily, the insurance will pay for everything. We'll have it up and running before the wedding. By the way, when is the wedding? I need to start getting fitted for my tux." I saw him readjust his clothes in a hinting way.

"Honestly, Pop, that's the last thing on my mind right now." I was now standing in what was going to be my office, and the hatred had tripled.

"Oh no, son, that should be the only thing on your mind. The declaration of your marriage is the underlying root of your manhood. The bond that will be created between you and Clarissa will be one that you'll be able to rely on for all of eternity. Besides, from my understanding, you two have not done much planning, at all."

"How can I sit down and plan a wedding with our company's demise in Camden's sights?"

"Son, immediately after my coronation, I ordered an unsuccessful assassination attempt on your uncle...."

"He's no uncle of mine," I growled through gritted teeth and clenched fists.

"Just hear me out, Duke. When Quinton returned with Oren's sword and shield, I immediately made plans to journey here to America after I cleaned up the shit my brother made. A year later, I married your mother in a private ceremony in Africa and had a little run-in with him. That was the day I knew I would forever suffer from the consequences of his revenge until one of us was dead."

"He's the one that's gonna die! Soon enough, we'll have our revenge on that son of a bitch." I dared not to say more about the plan, I had already said too much before I could catch myself. I now see what Trent means when he calls me a hothead. Daddy grabbed my arm and forcefully turned me to face him.

"You listen, and you listen to me good, son. Do not, I repeat, do not go near that man. This has nothing to do with you."

"Pop, I can't just sit here and do nothing!!"

"YOU WILL DO WHAT I SAY!!!!! You are to leave here, go home, and plan your wedding!!"

"But Pop....."

"I will hear no more of this, Duke. You and your brother are to stay out of this, and I mean it. Now, go home, get some rest, and plan your wedding. I want to be able to walk Clarissa down the aisle before my death comes."

"Trent told me you were talking crazy, and I didn't believe him. How can you say that? You're going to live for a long time." He was starting to worry me, which meant I was sure that we had to do this.

"Give Clarissa my love. Go home." Pop hugged me tightly as if it were the last one he would ever give me. I returned his warmth and assured him that I would never let him down, he reassured me that he never doubted it.

On the drive home, I thought long and hard about my father. I've never heard him talk this way, especially not about his death. I had no choice but to call my mother, and thankfully, she answered swiftly.

"Hello son, how's my baby boy doing with all this calamity occurring around us?"

"I'm fine considering. How are you, mother?" It delighted me to hear my mother's sweet voice, I almost forgot the nature of my call.