Chapter 1

Third person

Sofia entered her first class and sat down in the back row as usual. The rest of the students were talking to each other while waiting for the teacher's arrival.

Sofia had no friends. She did not mind it though, as less socializing meant more studying and music. Everyday Sofia would come to school early just to play the school's piano.

It was Maria who had taught her how to play. As soon as she was put into her care she started learning how to play her first notes.

By the time Sofia was five Maria died of a heart-attack. Dante blamed his mother's death on Sofia, even though he never really cared for Maria. He ruined his relationship with his mother when he first started drugs. Dante was not a good person. He drank alcohol many nights and was friends with bad people. The only reason Dante took Sofia in was because he knew he would receive quiet the amount of cash. He usually spent Sofia's money on his own personal wants and needs.

Sofia was left alone and neglected. She had no one. The worst part was that Sofia thought this was all normal. She believed that she deserved to be treated like that. If her own family had abandoned her that must have meant something.

When the math teacher entered the class, he immediately began taking the attendance. Sofia started zoning off and thinking about other things until she heard her name being called on the intercom.

"Sofia Marchetti to the principal's office please. Sofia Marchetti."

The whole class went silent as soon as they heard her name. Sofia could feel them all staring at her as she slowly got up from her seat. The squeak of her chair scraping across the floor increased the level of tension in the class. She picked up her bag and walked out of the room.

She was worried because she didn't want to cause trouble; and as a people pleaser she just wanted to be praised and loved. It was something she craved. Even when she tried her best she was never really noticed by anyone.

She took a deep breath before knocking on the principal's door and entering the small stuffy room.

"Sofia welcome dear. Please take a seat." ushered the Principal.

Having no information on what was happening worried Sofia, all the possibilities of what she could have done racked through her brain as she seat down.

"How are you doing Sofia? I hope school is not too hard for you?" the principal asked before taking a drink from her cup of coffee.

This confused Sofia as she was never usually asked these types of questions.

Why do you care?

Is what Sofia would have liked to respond with, but she held in her urge to be rude and stubborn.

"I'm doing ok I guess, and school is fine too." She smiled while lying.

"Excellent! Now I didn't call you here to just have a chit chat. So, I will get straight to the point.
I have just received a call from the social and child services to inform you that your older brother has filed a case to be your legal guardian. Apparently your present guardian is hard to contact."

"Your present guardian and you will be meeting him tomorrow at the child services center. Apparently, he has been looking for you for a few years now. You will be given time of school for a week, but you must catch up on work. Any questions?"

No this couldn't be right. Sofia didn't have a brother. Even if she did why did she only find out about it now?

"B-but I don't have a brother?"

"Ohh....." said the principal, obviously surprised by her reply.

" Well congratulations because now you do!"

If Sofia had been lied to about having brother. What other lies could she have been told?