Not the Worst Way to Die

"Mommy, what's the worst way to die you can think of?"

Kiera's mother looked surprisedly at her 6 yr old daughter. "Goodness, Kiera! What a question!"

"But what way, Mommy?"

"Oh--I guess a fire would be pretty bad. A house fire, where you couldn't get out. Why? Mommy's busy, honey...."

"I just wondered," the child answered, and skipped into the living room.

"Daddy, what's the worst way to die you can think of?"

"Hmmm---car crash? Grizzly bear attack? Daddy's trying to watch the game, sweetie..., " her father answered absent-mindedly.

"Oh. OK. I just wondered, " Keira gave a little smile.

She felt much better now. She skipped down the hall, to her room.

Her parakeet was barely moving now, laying in the bottom of the little jar she'd closed him in that morning. Probably he would die very soon, with no air in the jar, but at least nobody thought that was the worst way to die.

She glanced at the empty fishbowl on her dresser--just last week, she'd poured rubbing alcohol into it, and watched her two goldfish loll dizzily about, till they finally floated on top.

Fascinating.

And not the worst way to die.

The Daddy Longlegs in the yard had been fun, too--so satisfying to pull their legs off one by one, till there was nothing left but a useless little body, helplessly skittering in circles in the dirt....but not the worst way to die...

Kiera did feel better now, creeping into her baby sister's room with a plastic bag. She would be an only child again very soon....

And her baby sister?

Well, it wasn't the worst way to die....