I Love my Mom

I have the best mom in the world. She feeds me, takes care of me, provides me with shelter. What more could I ask for in a mother? She's beautiful too, long locks of amber hair, piercingly blue eyes that light up the room every time she walks in.

I remember the lullabies she sang to me, her soft hands gently caressing me to sleep between the bars. She sang to me words that meant something to her, hymns out of the church book. They meant something to me too, they meant comfort, safety. Knowing that your mother will always be there to protect you, it's wonderful.

She fell sick last week. I waited to hear something from my dad, how she was feeling, when I would see her again. I didn't see her for a whole week, my heart felt like it was missing a piece. I cried every night as I sang myself to sleep. I needed my mom so much.

When she brought breakfast into my room this morning I was so excited I ran straight towards her. The metal band around my ankle cut deep into my skin, causing blood to trickle down to my foot. I was so excited to see momma I forgot about my safety chain.

"Now now sugar plum, that's meant to protect you, not to hurt you," she says to me in her sing-song voice.

She slides two pieces of bread between the steel bars. I devour them quickly. As she walks towards the door she turns around and blows me a kiss. I catch it and place it on my cheek. I love my mom.