I Wish...

I wish.

I wish my sister hadn't died.

I wish my parents hadn't moved, leaving her behind.

I made a wish that she'd come back. And then she did, eyes scratched out and black.

I wish she'd stay, so that we could play.

But Daddy came in once, and scared her away.

I wish I knew why she cried, and she told me quietly how she had died.

I wish Daddy hadn't done those things, 'cause then Suzie would still be here, with me.

I wish she'd stay all night and day, to keep me warm, to keep me safe.

I wish Daddy would leave me alone, not waking me late and leaving me cold.

I wish Susie could hurt him back, 'cause I'm too scared when he grins and he laughs.

I wish I could do things like her, move things without touch, or fly like a bird.

I wish I hadn't seen the things that she's done, when I let her inside and my body grew numb.

But I wished her to save me and now that she has, she controls and consoles me, not wanting to go back.

I wish I could tell Mommy, but I struggle to speak, the longer Susie's here, my presence grows weak.

I wish I could play, but Suzie tells me "it's too late", and I sit quietly by, I patiently wait.

I wish, like her, that I could grow old, and although it might hurt, I wish when she had asked, that I had said, "No."