The Earthquake

When the earthquake was over and the news broadcasted the number of victims, the first thing I did was check up on my girlfriend. But it took hours for a search and rescue team to arrive at the pile of rubble which her home had been reduced to. When I finally decided to inquire what their efforts uncovered, a man stopped me.

"Excuse me, sir. Did you know the people who lived here?"

"Yes," I said. "I mean, I knew one person. My girlfriend lived here. Is she-"

"Was she the only person recently living in the household?"

"I think so. She might have had visitors, I suppose."

"We've found two bodies underneath the rubble. The couple who stayed here didn't survive the earthquake."

"Oh," I said, acting a bit disoriented. "Oh my God."

"I understand your distress, but your immediate help could save lives. Could you help us establish the identity of the deceased so we can concentrate search efforts somewhere else? You might need to prepare yourself for this. The woman's body is badly crushed. Her face was smashed in by a chunk of debris and her bones are broken in multiple places."

That's definitely her, I thought. Of course I didn't say it. I also knew her the guy she had been cheating on me with, I met him earlier that day when he was the first to show up on her porch.

And I knew for a fact they both survived the earthquake. But perfect opportunities to fix things don't come around very often.