Have No Fear

They all fear me.

It's always the same mistake. Typical. Almost funny, really. Most of them are unable to see the big picture. I'm not all that scary. I just do my job. Granted, it's an undesirable job, but it's my burden to carry. I never wanted to hurt anyone. I guess you could say it's an occupational hazard. It suits me, I suppose. I think long term; I have to, or else I... Well. That's beside the point.

The other night, I was on my way home when I received an urgent call from work. When I arrived, she was huddled in a corner, trembling. Her milk-white skin was covered in blood, and her hair fell around her disheveled face in tangled knots. As I entered the room, she shrank back and screamed. "Child, don't be afraid," I whispered. My outstretched hand was only greeted by more screams. I have grown accustomed to the fear. I sighed, sliding silently over to the corner. Slowly, I reached down and gently grasped her clammy hand. Instantly, I felt her shudder, then go limp. She glanced up at me with big eyes, and, with a solemn nod, we exited the home hand-in-hand.

You see, they all make the same mistake. They fear the wrong person. I don't bring death. I am only a guide to comfort that lies beyond the realm of reality. I am not the one you should be afraid of, my friends. No, there is another. He toys with his creations, watching on in sick amusement as they are consumed by torment and pain. I am not allowed to intervene, not until it is their time. Only then, may I accompany them to their final, peaceful rest.

Do not fear Death, my dear. I am not the real monster.