Monsters Among Us

Serena. Sweet, precious Serena. There's beauty inside you. I've seen it ever since you were a young girl. Ever since I first started watching you from the darkness of your closet.

I've always known that one day I'd be in your heart.

I know I've sometimes frightened you, Serena. I know the ghastly shape my hideousness casts. I've done my best to hide from you, but sometimes I can't help myself, and I open the door wider to better see you while you've slept.

Serena, I'm sorry I let you see me all those times. You would scream for your parents. Except, they always turned on the lights, and since I stay in the darkness, they never found me.

I know this gave you nightmares that have never gone away. I know you still keep rubber sheets over your mattress to this day.

But I've never wished to harm you, Serena. I've always tried to keep my distance when I watch you. You're a fragile flower Serena, and like a flower I fear you would wither and die if I got too close.

I watched you everywhere, Serena. I watched you from the darkest bushes. I watched you from the shadowy stairwell. I watched you from the black slits of the lockers. I watched you struggle to make friends. I watched with anger as that sneering Bobby Mathews threw mud in your beautiful black hair, stole your favourite doll, and called you all manner of stupid names.

I wanted nothing more than to reach out and wipe the tears from your blue eyes, Serena, but I knew I couldn't. Which is why I slipped inside Bobby Mathews' bedroom that night, and instead reached down his throat before his squirming little tongue could call out in terror. He would never hurt you again, Serena.

Since then I watched you mature Serena. I watched you blossom into a woman. I've seen the beauty inside you grow all this time. I know we are meant to be together, Serena.

So why have you brought that man into your bed, Serena?

Serena straddles atop him, pulling off her shirt.

"Damn," he growls, "you're fine girl."

"Nnnn, you like that?" She purrs in his ear. "I've been wanting this for a long time."

Serena!

"I'm ready to give it, babe."

"Did I tell you, you remind me of someone?"

He sneers, lasciviously. "What, like your dad?"

"Something like that. Now wait right there, I have something for you." Serena leans over the edge of her bed.

Now's my chance. The lights are dim. I open the closet door.

His eyes peel wide. "W-what the fuck is tha- urk!"

Serena grins. "A knife, stupid." She stabs him again and again, stabbing until long after he stops thrashing. Serena then begins wrapping him in her sheets, including the rubber sheets.

I knew I saw beauty in your heart Serena.

I know darkness.

Soon there will be enough in your heart for me.