The Gift of Life deserves a worthy Sacrifice

"We'll get through this", Bill said as his lips touched Mary's forehead. Eyes red with guilt, wet with agony, "I don't want to lose you", she cried. "I'll always be with you", his voice cracked, fingers leaving her soft hands. He left a folded note in her hands, his only message for the future. "No!", he heard her scream as he lay on the chair.

"Man and woman may come together

In hopes that there may be another",

The man in lab coat recited.

"Earth would not allow this forever

Why we do this you must remember"

Bill swore at his emotionless face. The needle pricked but the injectable hit him like a train. Aimed at his brain, his nerves slowly degenerating. He thought about Mary and his unborn child. Happiness helped numb the pain. He hoped that they would lead a good life. 'I'll never see his face', tears streaming down his cheeks. 'She'll mother him well', his brain convinced him. 'This was the only way'

Earth had been populated to the brim and the UN unanimously passed the single most inhumane bill they ever had. 'Plus one minus one' they named the law. An addition to the family required a subtraction too.

He felt his heart slow down, his breath weaken and his eyes darken, when she walked in. His eyes shot open begging for an explanation. The nurse quietly stated, "I have bad news". Fearing the worst, half hoping for his life back, he screamed, "What is it?"

With a tone as grave as death itself, she said, "You have twins".