Chapter 23

Hmm... I'm pretty sure i know where I want to take this but at the same Tim I'm not sure where I want to take this. I love these characters and I know that I need to do them justice. So, I will try my best to do them justice.
~~

~
~
~
~
Rosie and I were still not on speaking terms yet as the week rolled by. I had been looking out for her but she seemed to avoid me but I wanted to keep an open mind and not beat myself up over it. I tried to ignore the gnawing pain in my chest as I finished the week out. I went to the gym the rest of the week to try and take my mind off of everything but I found myself researching a lot. The therapist recommended a lot of websites but I wanted information from people just like me, not just the facts from psychology. So, I've been searching and come up with a couple forums and I liked being able to share online anonymously any questions I had. I didn't have to feel embarrassed about asking simple questions and instead poured out all the questions I had.
    I wanted to really talk with Rosie but I know we both needed a little space. And I was going to give it to her but I had a different dilemma today. I had been talking with the mystery faerie man through text and we decided to meet up on Saturday. Today was Saturday and I was a little nervous. A lot was going on inside my head but I wasn't going to chicken out.
    I stood in front of a cafe in town in grey joggers, a white large Loss Ness monster t-shirt with a thick grey jacket , a white beanie and grey winter crocs. Looking down at my phone for the time, 2:32 pm flashes across the screen as I head into the cafe. My chest is tight with anticipation but I don't know why. I had written in the leather bound diary that sat atop my desk before leaving so I could relieve some of the anxiety I was feeling. Did it help? Well, we will see won't we.
    I sit a table that sits in front of a window that housed potted plants along the ledge. I prop my elbows on the table as I go to text him that I arrived but knuckle raps the table drawing my attention up. An unexpected smile tugs at the corners of my mouth as I see him. My heart thudding in my chest, I go to stand up but he motions for me to stay seated.
"You got here early," he states as he remains standing, "I'm going to grab something from the front. Coffee or no coffee?"
His warm brown eyes scan my face waiting for an answer as I unconsciously mumble out, "No coffee."
    "Something sweet or not sweet?"
    "Uh, Sweet but not too sweet. What is this for?" I as snapping out of the trance the faerie man seems to cast over me every time we meet.
        "I'll be right back," he says motioning to the counter. He walks away without a second glance back and waits in line behind two people.
What use happened? Shaking my head I force myself to snap out of it as I scan him subtly. The mysterious yet comforting aura of him covers the area around him a heavy blanket letting the whole room know that he wasn't to be trifled with. His semi long brown hair was away from his face in a half up, half down style that accentuated his large hits streak of hair that sat on the left side. Black small studs rested in his ears bringing attention to his slightly pointed ears that only convinced me more that he was an undercover fairy. The rest of his ensemble was very casual like the first time I met him at the diner. A soft grey stretchy gym shirt that stretched over his taunt yet lean muscles hid underneath deep red runners jacket. A lone silver chain hung slightly lower that the rounded neck of the grey shirt as only three silver rings caught the sunlight that streamed in through the windows. Wrinkle-free equally grey joggers adorned his legs as they did little to hide the muscle definition that hid beneath the cotton material. Large worn black sneakers covered his feet with equally black shoe laces to match.
    There was nothing really too special about his outfit except that e was the one wearing it. He probably would make any out of it he put on look special. I stopped accessing his outfit as the group chat pinged on my phone dragging with almost glue stuck gaze away from the faerie man as he started ordering at the counter.
Danny:Who is down for a scary movie night? I feel like I want to get scared 😱
Shane: I'm in. Who's house?
    Ann: You know I'm in! Rosie is coming too.
Zane: I'm not the biggest fan but I'll come if Miles is coming. I need my life sized teddy. 😝
Miles: I don't mind scary movies, so I'll come. What time are we meeting up and send me the address.
Danny: Shanes.
    Ann: Shanes.
    Zane: Shanes.
Shane: Shouldn't have asked or responded. 6 sound good?
Miles: Sounds good to me. I'll bring some nachos, pop, and send me anything else. I gotta get going now though. Bye.
    I peel my gaze away from my phone as the faerie man places a small wooden tray down with two drinks and two snacks placed strategically to fit everything. I place y phone face down on the wooden surface and bring my attention to the sweets in front of me.
    He takes off his jacket placing it on the wooden back chair before sitting down. A soft smile rest on his pale pink lips as his eyes res once again on my face.
    "It is really nice to see you again, Miles. It has been a while, though I have to say, I do enjoy hearing how you are doing from time to time through text," He says resting back against the seat as he motions for me to take the subtle green tea drink.
    "I was extremely nervous to come here today seeing as you keep seeing me...not at my best," I chuckle nervously I as pick up the warm tea drink that had small bits of fruit floating through the transparent green drink. Taking a spill, a soft mint flavor blooms on my tongue as a slight candied flavor chases after it. It was sweet but savory enough to want a sweets behind it.
    "There are many non-flattering situations that I have seen in my line of work so far. Yours, Miles, are nowhere near them. Rest assured. They only made me want to get to know you better as I haven't seen you in a very long time," his white lashes flutter as his eyes shine with hidden emotion that threaten to break the surface before he clears his throat wiping away any trace of emotion beside being content.
    My brow furrows in confusion as I take in his last words, "What do you mean? We have met before?" My eyes scan his features as my mind tosses around memories trying to locate his face in my mind.
    He sighs, "You probably wouldn't remember and that is a subject a bit too much for our first real meeting. Excuse me for bringing it up and leaving you hanging but trust me on this. Now, tell me, what is the conflict that is between you and the minx named Rosie. Who I might add is very protective of you from the last encounter. And she should be but I digress. Please explain."
    My cheeks warm at the thought of Rosie being protective of me as I start explain what occurred this week. I stopped a couple times as I was still a bit sore over everything that transpired between us but he didn't interrupt waiting for me to continue. By the time, I finished telling how Zane was able to help me navigate through that time; my chest felt restricted yet my heart was lighter.
    "Mmm. That was quite the week, Miles. I see why you guys are giving each other space though. It is not the easiest to put such a complicated situation into the proper words especially with you guys being young and trying to figure each other out. There was a right way to approach the situation and considering everything. You took the right approach. There wasn't much you could do, Miles, this was something that you both of course neglected to foresee. There will always be problems if you both don't express what is wrong up front with each other instead of beating around the bush afraid of steeping on each other's toes."
    I go to interrupt him but he hold his hand up gesturing me to continue eating apple fritter sitting in front of me. I want to argue Rosies case but I know that he was older and hopefully wiser than Rosie and I.
    "There is hardly a right time, place, situations or words when talking to someone you feel strongly about; let alone someone who seems to see into your darkest parts. Those parts are that parts of us that we want to shield away from the eyes of man but your Rosie seems to be struggling to reveal those parts of her that she has shielded away. You both have meet not too long ago with a three month gap in between. Nothing is going to fix itself if you both don't put n the energy to do it together; yes, there are something that should be dealt with alone but when that time comes you both won't have to shy away from letting each other know this. Mile, there are a lot of things that she will be able to hep you with and there are some things you will be able to help her with. The biggest factor in a dynamic relationship is trust and boundaries. Knowing each other's boundaries is where you both are failing and your trust in her is stronger than her trust in you. Which sometimes is warranted but she has to learn to trust that are equally as strong as her if not stronger."
    "Rosie probably knows this but she hasn't fully put her full self into the relationship probably for both of your sakes. It will take time but you also have to make the effort to talk with her without shutting down. Shutting down when you want shouldn't happen and you need to practice approaching the situation head-on. Like, I said Miles, this will take time and blame falls on you both but seeing how she acts it seems she wants to try being your caretaker. Being a caretaker, means shouldering more responsibility and having a level-head even when you want to break down. It is not easy but it can be more rewarding when you put yourself in uncomfortable situations to achieve trust in a dynamic relationship. There is no need to overstep your own boundaries but it is important to see each other without the thoughts that this person is going to judge you or won't be able to handle it. If someone is meant to stick by you then they will always find their way back to you; even if it may take a while. There isn't a need to rush these things; everything can go wrong when you rush. Take time to learn each other and later on you both can approach a deeper connection. Miles, there are a lot of things you are still going to have t o encounter and conquer but choosing the right person to help through those times is the best thing anyone can ask for. Do you understand, Miles?"
The faerie man is very serious as his voice comes out leveled yet firm. His liquid chocolate eye bearing into my own as he speaks unspoken words that I seemed to be missing.
Nodding, "There are a lot of things that I want to be able to do but I know I have to take it slow. I want to have a normal relationship, life, friends, and just me overall. But, my therapist keeps saying there is no such thing as normal in this world. Society has applied the word normal to people and things in a way to keep us all controlled in a box. I understand I was pushing her to try and lean on me but I wanted her to see a little less perfect than she seems right now. It is a horrible thought but she seems too good to be true. I am silently waiting for the moment where I find out she isn't real or has been faking everything but I know that is far from the truth. My mind is a dangerous place and I keep having these thoughts about the night in the club. She said she wouldn't leave me and I wouldn't be alone; I was alone. I was..."
I stop myself as I notice my hands starting to shake. It was something about this man that caused me to want to bear my soul out to him. I hardly realized I was upset about that night-I haven't even told my therapist my dark passing thoughts. I couldn't continue as I tucked my thumbs into my fist sliding them under the table in an attempt to hideaway the small tremors.
He gazes at me silently as he sips his coffee before saying, "You were hurt by that situation whether you noticed it or not. It wasn't right of them to leave you even if you had went off by yourself. And you do have the right to feel hurt, however, you put yourself also in the position to be left alone. It would have been better if you had clung to your friends who understand you. Zane, as you told me, was right next to you but you told him it was okay and you needed to leave. You needed to leave so you did. You are still learning your way around all of this, Miles. It will take time to heal. You did what you deemed was best in that situation; you did a great job. Truly. Let her know how you feel and work through it with her. Nothing ever gets fixed when you hide it from the one person that can help."
"You have the strength to make it out of situations most people wouldn't want to live on from but you want to. Find in yourself to love yourself, Miles. There aren't a lot of people that will love us for who we are. Rosie and your group of friends are going to be your ride or die. Don't let your shadows ruin something priceless over a misunderstanding. We all have shadows we run from but we can only run so long. I hope we stay in touch as I do have to leave now to handle some work. We will meet once a month, if possible. It's like having a son and I want to keep you in my life as there are a lot of things I need to teach you. Sound good?"
My hands stopped trembling by the end and a small smile eases onto my face. A faerie thought of me like a son and I was definitely not going to risk being cursed by a bunch of faeries.
"That would be awesome," I say as he claps me on the back walking out the door. I had a lot going on in my head when I walked through the door of the cafe but now I walked out with one thing on my mind. I needed Rosie and I to talk tonight. Alone. I couldn't stand knowing I was part of the reason we weren't talking and I wanted to let her know that she had hurt me. I wasn't going to shy away...hopefully.
~
~
~
~
~
Words: 2721 (heavily unedited)
~
~
~
~
~
Hello!!! I am so sorry this is so late but I have a really good excuse. My family and I recently moved so I couldn't even if I wanted to write. But, i was so ready to get back to writing so I'm in a corner of the house writing this. Lol. I could wait to get at least a chapter out. And I will respond to comments when I have a little more time. Thank you all for getting this story to 19k reads!!!! You all are amazing and there is so much more to come for this story. LSF~ Mwah <3