Chapter 7: Glow

Christmas came to Westhrope Hall. The house is awash in Christmas cheer despite its Lord being gone. The staircase and fireplaces are draped in evergreen garlands with oranges adhered to them. Mary likes the appeal of the bright orange color amidst the greenery. Flower arrangements of red and white roses with sprigs of holly were set on the tables and graced every room's presence.

Mary forgoed the wild boar for the Christmas feast in favor of turkey and duck. She loathes a wild boar, which has strong resemblances and similarities to her father, a total boar of a man. Those words will never be uttered out loud by her lips, though. And the irony is people think that way about Charles. He is not. Maybe before their marriage, but with all the respect he gives her, she can't bring herself to think that way about him. Perhaps Her Duke is a little uncouth but not a boar anymore.

The Duchess started a new tradition. She invited the important Duchy residents to a special Christmas banquet. The dinner allowed Her Ladyship to network and learn about the mayors, sheriffs, knights, shop owners, and the gentry of Suffolk. It was just as good as Governance Wednesday. The only missed opportunity was with the Dowager Countess, who has yet to grace Mary with her existence. Though it's not for lack of trying.

Throughout the celebrations of the holiday season, the Duke himself was missed. Christmas morning saw Mary, Dot, and begrudgingly Lady Catherine dine on a Christmas feast of their own with mince pies, fruitcake, figgy pudding, marzipan delights, honey, fruits of all kinds, assorted cheese, and fresh-baked bread. The servants were invited to partake of the treats as well.

Since Charles wasn't there to do it, the Duchess wanted to honor their servant's hard work and support. Then they exchanged gifts. The Duke and Duchess were gifted many thoughtful items from their servants, like serving utensils or coupons for particular work.

Then the fun began with Lady Dot, who gave Mary a scandalous nightgown. When she opened it and saw the red silk, she swooned. But that was quickly replaced when she pulled it out and saw the sheer lace at the top. That is where her breasts go! Her face turned red as the garment, and she quickly stowed it away in the box.

Lady Agnes and Joan presented her new soap-making materials while Lady Catherine gave her a stack of parchment. Fresh parchment, indeed! She thanked the girl anyway for the gift while Cranston brought out a rather large box. He put it at Mary's feet. She eyed the man curiously. Cranston told her, "My Lady, this is not from me. I went in with Agnes and Joan's gift. This is actually from His Grace."

Upon the mention of Charles, the Duchess's face lit up like the sun in the sky. She eagerly took the top off and found a conglomeration of items fitted among the packing paper. Two new dresses of fine silk, a floral silken skirt, a lace top to match, a red leather belt with golden embellishment, a headpiece of pearls, a cloak trimmed in fur, two new hats, and buried underneath are a pair of ordinary scissors. Her hands brought out the scissors and clasped them. He remembered her ostentatious ones!

Mary also found a note, which she saved to read later in private. All of these fine things engulfed her with gratitude. She has never been given so much in one sitting since her palace days, and it brought out a sense of triviality because she thought of her mother, alone with only her Lady Elizabeth Darrow for support. Thinking of the Dowager Queen made Mary's eyes pool with tears, but she wouldn't cry until she was alone this time. Which did not come until eventide.

After changing for bed, she began reading Charles's letter. It started...

Dearest Wife,

I hope you receive this in time for Christmas. I wish we were together on this day. Instead, I am here, in France, putting on a good face for His Majesty. No doubt, as you read this, I am sure to be in the middle of some gregarious feast. I hope you are enjoying your first Christmas at Westhrope Hall and are not celebrating alone. I also hope you took my advice and haven't stayed shut up in the manor like some elderly spinster, which you most certainly are not.