Chapter 42: Life

It was a Friday. Nothing special, just an ordinary day of the week. This is the day Mary likes to finish her goals. It's her day to celebrate all that she set out to accomplish on Monday. The day she likes to wish the servants, the guards, Sir Glyn, Lady Enid, Lady Ashdown, Dot, and of course Charles a job well done. 

She was walking around the house wishing everyone a "Happy Friday!!" Her bubbly voice echoed throughout the halls. Her feet carried her to His Highness's study and knocked on the door, before entering. Looking up from the ledger, he smiled. As she walked toward him, she shouted "Happy Friday!" Her arms went about his neck.

His arms welcomed her to sit with him. She did and he told her "Happy Friday Love." A kiss was placed on her cheek. His eyes closed as his head rested on her neck. His voice asked, "Are we ready for the birthday celebration tomorrow?" 

Her fingers massaged his neck. Just as she was about to respond, the sound of a carriage could be heard. "I wonder who that could be," she questioned. Getting up from his lap, Mary scurried to the large, oversized window. Pulling the citron and blue brocade curtains back, she peeked out of the glass. 

A girl with long strawberry blonde curls, wearing a brocade shirt and long black velvet skirt, stepped out. She looked around the grounds and surveyed the manor house, as she took off her bonnet. Mary stepped back from the view, not wishing to be seen yet. "I bet this is my new lady in waiting. I should go round up Dot and greet her. I'll introduce her to you later." 

Charles is forever thankful for that. He'd really rather not go greet the new girl. Instead, he kissed his wife before she left his office in a flurry of skirts. She rushed to the other side of the house in order to fetch Dot. Situated in a large room with tons of windows, itself, Dot sat drawing the back yards. Hearing the commotion, she turned around to see her friend rush to her side. "Is everything alright Mary?"

Placing her hand on Dot's shoulder, she caught her breath and then answered. "I think the new girl is here. A carriage arrived with a girl who doesn't at all look familiar. We should go greet her. Do you think I should change first? Do you think this dress is too casual?" She wore a black and white printed panel dress, with white lace sewn on each panel, the bottom of the sleeves, and at a V on the neckline. A white stone belt cinched her waist. 

Dot laughed. "No. I think you look fine. Besides, you're pregnant and can wear whatever you want." She stood up from her artist's station and wiped her hands on the apron she wore. After taking it off, she declared "Now let's go meet this new girl." She linked arms with Mary and the two of them went downstairs to meet the new lady in waiting.

As they walked the Princess also fretted over her hair. "It's down. Maybe I should go have Joan put it up, or stick a bejeweled headpiece in it." 

Squeezing her friend's arm, Dot reassured her "Like your dress, your hair is fine." The two of them spied the new counterpart, on the foyer landing area, at the bottom of the stairs. She appears about their age and wears a kind face. Whispering to her friend, Dot mentioned "I hope she's sensible and not flighty. I also hope she isn't one of those simpering airheaded idiots of the court either. We'll have to send her back otherwise." 

The two ladies walked down the stairs together. When they got to the bottom steps they saw Lady Enid talking with the girl. "Oh, here's Her Ladyship now. Your Highness allow me to introduce you to Lady Paisley. She said she is here as your new lady in waiting. I told her she has some big shoes to fill, big, big shoes." Lady Enid went about her duties instructing the servants to take the lady's trunks to her new quarters, beside Lady Dot.

A smile and a chuckle left the Princess's mouth. She walked over to Lady Paisley and greeted her. "Hello, Lady Campbell. It's so good to have you here with us." Dot came to stand beside her.