Chapter 51: Hunting

At home in Cardiff, the Brandons relaxed. No longer were they on display like fine pieces of meat, or the animals of the Majestic Menagerie. After a grueling three weeks of manners, meetings, and flaunting the wealth of England, they were finally able to be home sweet home. Home never felt so good.

Hapus House has become their anchor, port of call, and refuge from any storm of any kind. Like its name, the house is a happy place to dwell and be. Love lives there. Anyone who visits can feel it and leaves happy too. It's full of hopes and dreams of all sorts, and it's good to be there. It's good to be home.

True to her word, Mary went riding with Charles every morning. Although, instead of riding her own horse she held onto her husband as he guided them over the terrain. She could ride by herself, but she's not as skilled with horses as she is with a bow. When asked why he wanted her to go horse riding with him, he explained "The time we spend together are the moments I cherish most of all. Any time spent with you is priceless and I love it." 

That made her heart swoon. She too loves spending time with him, even if it's taking nap in his arms. There's a peace and contentment in it that's not had anywhere else. Time spent together is the secret ingredient to making their relationship stronger. It's time well spent. 

But little does she know, every time he's at court it never fails. He's always asked, by someone including his father-in-law, "Why are you so changed? What is it about your wife, that girl who made you want to change? Why not another woman?"

What may seem like an intrusive question is actually an opportunity to sing his wife's praises. So he's glad people ask him. A blissful expression becomes fixed on his masculine face. "That girl is the one who lights up my life. My sunshine in the dark. Ever since the day I married her, the beauty of her gentle spirit radiates strength, love, joy, and everything I've ever wanted. She has a captivating face and figure, but that's nothing compared to who she is as a person. I want that in my life forever. We're compatible together and exceedingly content with each other." 

When he tells them about spending time together people can't believe it. Most of the men share with him they can't stand being alone with their wives. To Charles, that's very sad, because he was one of those men before. He understands where they're coming from, as he hated being alone with Margaret. It drained his spirits and sapped his energy. But he supposes the wrong person will do that, because never does he feel that way with Mary. The only time it even comes close is when they disagree, but even then it's not exhausting or depleting. If they happen to disagree with everything (which is a huge stretch, it's more like a few things here and there), they're still kind to each other. 

His life is vastly different from three years ago. His life, his house, and his family are different from that of the King even. It's such a stark contrast. Sitting in the study, he reflected on these things while also thinking about their three-year wedding anniversary. There is nothing more lovely and charming than the company of a good wife and a great marriage. A happy marriage happens with the right person and Mary is his right person. 

So what can he do to celebrate his wife? He's already given her the special tiara. This gift has to be a little bit more noteworthy than that. It has to be meaningful because this anniversary is meaningful to him. This is his longest marriage yet and his most fruitful, most successful union. After all, it's only his second one. 

With this in mind, there's only one thing for him to do. It's a thing he dreads, but it must be done. Standing up, he put on his doublet and buttoned it up. Then he headed for the stables. On his way out, Mary stopped him in the hall. In her arms is his little princess wearing a pretty cream-colored headband, with a blue embroidered dress. "Where are you off to? I thought we were going to play cards with Paisley and William." Gillian reached for her father.