Chapter 33: Relax

Rest is love and peace. It's an exemplary framework for your family. It's not a negative thing or laziness. Because where there is a lack of rest, there is a lot of stress. Riding in the carriage to Cardigan, on the coast, this is what the Brandons tried to do— rest. Mary was much too agitated and antsy to rest. Charles tried as well but kept thinking over the events leading up to them getting on the road. He continued to ponder the fact his wife is being put back into the line of succession. 

Does that make her a princess again? If it does, then what is he? The truth is he's no prince. He's just a poor man in the midst of wealth. It was given to him, not inherited. He is only a knight turned into a Duke, or rather a Grand Duke, who has had his metal truly tested. A man without fear in the face of his enemies. The one who got to rescue the pretty princess from her captive castle of gloom. The protector and defender of his family. This is who he is. 

It would be much too strange to even consider himself a prince, so he isn't. He isn't even going to think about that. What he will think about is the fact Henry has known all along about the ambushing plot. If he knew then why didn't he try to stop it? However, the big thing Charles really can't understand is why did he allow him to be severely injured? Why wasn't he informed of the plotting to at least be prepared? But then, did he only know after the fact? He's unsure as to when the King learned of everything. Although, why didn't he protect Mary? He for damn sure knew of everything before she was pushed down the stairs. 

The apple in the pig's mouth to all of this is whatever His Majesty is plotting regarding his Queen. The funny thing about that is he's scheming on a mirage. The Queen is not really a Queen at all, she's a counterfeit. The people know it to be true and deep down inside his heart, Henry realizes this too. Her usefulness to the King has worn off. He made her what she is and apparently he's about to unmake her. And the other ironic thing about it is, you really don't have to fight wicked people. They always get caught and found out. Their own conniving, machinations and lies eventually bring them down. That's the best revenge, or at least Charles thinks so.

When the Duke and Duchess finally arrived in Cardigan, their party stopped to stretch their legs. Charles gave the carriage driver directions to the estate. He strode over to his head of security, Jeffery, who met them on the road into Cardigan. The man is going to secure the premises, with his men, before he leaves to return to his post in Cardiff. 

The irony of this whole holiday is not lost on Mary. Her husband wants to visit the seaside. They live in Cardiff, which is essentially on the ocean. All they have to do is walk, or ride, a ways to the beach. But really what he wants is to just go away to relax. She can't help but agree. Relaxation is what they both need, a break from their routine to pause and reset. 

When she exited the carriage, she joined Dot along with the twins. Dot asked her to set some time aside to help with wedding details. "I have so much to do Mary. I need your help," she exclaimed in dramatic Dot fashion.

Of course, she's going to help her friend. It's only right. Once the two got busy talking about visiting the marketplace here in the village, it was time to get back into the carriages. As they rode both Brandons wondered what this "summer home" of the King will look like. "If our home in Cardiff is anything to go off of, a miniature palace, then my father's summer manor would have to be similar," Mary declared. Charles agreed with a smile and a twinkle in his eyes. 

Pulling onto the road of the manor home, they realized this is no ordinary abode. For one it is a castle, Cardigan Castle it is aptly named. Secondly, when His Majesty said it was a seaside manor he truly meant it. There is no lie involved there. The castle dominates the Cardigan coastline. It is situated, literally, on a sturdy hillside that juts into the sea at the Traeth Dyffryn coast. The castle has four floors and beautiful panoramic views, as evidenced by all of the windows.