Chapter 54: Survived

The days following the death of the Queen and the future heir of England were tough. It was the hardest on the King and those closest to the Her Majesty. London mourned the loss, but the two losses had not been felt in the kingdom as a whole. For most people, the loss was not that significant. Work still had to be done in the fields with harvest time here. There are taxes to be paid and wages that must be earned. The King turns over wives like most men turn over cups of strong drink. 

Everyone knows that Lady Jane Seymour was Queen for one purpose only. Her single goal was to produce an heir. She did her duty, and she died bringing it to pass. That was her burden to bear. Then the heir was born and died. Everything is different and yet the same. Life goes on.

In an odd occurrence, Mary was chosen to be the chief mourner at the funeral. She had no idea why, as she and the Queen weren't particularly close— friendly but not one to whom she'd tell her deepest secrets. On the other hand, Charles could be found in the King's rooms trying to get His Majesty out of the pit of despair. Then Mary's other duty kicked in, that of a wife. When her husband made his return from a long day of comforting the King, she reassured him. 

Unlike her beloved mother's, the funeral was an actual Queen's funeral. The King had this woman buried in St. George's Chapel at Windsor Castle. Along with Mary, a procession of twenty-nine mourners followed behind her. One for every year of Jane's life. She thought it a bit much and a little too over the top. But she knew enough to keep these thoughts to herself. 

It stung a bit to know this woman had the honor of being buried as a Queen when her mother had been a true Queen and a Royal of Spain. One would think that would demand the same dignity and respect, but no. Instead, she was buried at Peterborough Cathedral with the King not even in attendance. Pure vulgar disrespect, that's what that is. A glare at the King may have escaped her eyes.

After the funeral, the Prince and Princess were resting in their rooms. Something the great Italian artisan Leonardo DaVinci once said took root in her mind. She shared it with Charles. "As a well-spent day brings happy sleep, so does a life well used bring happy death. He said that, and I think I agree in this case. Hers is not a happy death because my father does not have a happy life." 

Then she thought out loud. "I wonder, does His Majesty mourn the loss of the Queen, or does he mourn the fact he's in the same sorry state he's been in all along? The babe died, and his wife died. It is no different than all the losses my mother carried. He put her aside in favor of The Whore. Then he killed The Whore in favor of The Meek One. Now, this wife died birthing his heir, who also passed away. One would think he would learn from past behaviors." Her fingers carded through her husband's hair as his head was in her lap.

Taking his wife's hand, he cautioned her. "Careful, My Love, that has a bite of bitterness to it. But I understand what you mean. However, he's in a horrible place. His head is not in the right frame of mind. It's truly a mess. Although I think he oddly loved Jane Seymour. And, of course, he's grieving over the loss of the heir. He was dealt a double blow. I haven't said much to him besides mainly sitting vigil and listening to him talk and mourn."

She then asked, "I wonder how long he'll grieve before taking another wife? He has to have that magical heir, you know. I'm not good enough, but maybe my sister is. Especially since now, he's taken a shine to Elizabeth these past few days. And all because Dear Wonderful Jane doted on her. It's the least he can do, or so says Lady Rutland." Her eyes gazed into the fireplace, deep into her moods.

Bolting upright, Charles turned his head to look at her. He carefully took in the sight of her. She's hiding her feelings, and he knows there's anger there. A whole lot of anger that's gone sour. "I know you've grown into yourself these past three years, but you're still holding on to discontent with your father. It manifests at different times. Darling, don't let it poison you. Today you've chosen to let bitterness live. You need to get it all out in the open. Put all your cards on the table."