Chapter 48: Ulterior

It was undeniable. The Queen is large with the King's child, and in the heat of summer. Mary doesn't envy her. Having been pregnant with the twins, during this same season, she commiserates. However, being wiser now, she's already told Charles no more babies until Gillian is two. She's absolutely sincere about it this time. Three children all under the age of three is a difficult thing to manage.

When they introduced their newest member of the family to her grandfather, of course, he said something about the fact she is a girl. "You've already got two sons. Having a girl now is good." Being the good daughter that she is, Mary refrained from rolling her eyes or saying something she shouldn't have. Then His Majesty dismissed his granddaughter altogether in favor of his grandsons, whom he hoisted into his arms and carried around showing them off. This made the frustration rise within her.

While Charles held the baby in his arms, his wife's hand ran over their daughter's head. She had put a cute red headband through her short wispy baby hair. The headband even had a big Tudor Rose made of small rubies and pearls situated on it, angled to the right. She thought Gillian looked precious, despite how she was snubbed by her grandfather. 

But it was then, her husband whispered "It's OK sweet girl. Daddy loves you. You're his special princess." Hearing his words, Mary gave him a soft smile of appreciation. Gillian smiled too and patted her father's chest with her tiny hands. So instead of her grandfather, her proud father showed her off to the room.

After making it through the family meal, that first night, Charles and Mary helped both the King and Queen with the Royal delegation preparations. While Charles listened to His Majesty play tennis with his decisions— "I think we should have a joust, but then that what good would that do since I can't enter. However a joust is fun entertainment, although it's been done so much it gets boring."— Mary helped the Queen with place settings, picking which Royal China patterns to use, guest room arrangements, and other such trivial nonsense.

The King made a decision on the entertainment. It came down to the traveling circus, a carnival, hunting, the prancing ponies, the All Saints Troubadours (which is the most sought-after group in the country), an archery tournament, and an afternoon game of cricket. Once it was decided on, Charles, William, and Edward Seymour were in charge of making it happen. Charles organized the hunt, the archery tournament, and cricket. He left the more complicated arrangements to William and Charles. 

William complained "How am I to guard your wife, when I'm having to secure the traveling circus entertainment and the stupid prancing ponies? The hell if I even know where the dumb traveling circus is at." Charles laughed at his friend's response. When Anthony arrives he'll have him help William with the circus and the prancing ponies.

Lady Paisley was actually the one to help William tremendously. She told him that her snobbish sister, Sophie, wrote to her complaining about the ridiculousness of the circus. Apparently, they were last seen in Glasgow, which is where her sister lives. She offered to write and see if the circus is still there. 

William all but begged her to, saying "If you this for me, I'll take you to see Lord Warnock's new litter of puppies as soon as we get back to Cardiff." As a huge lover of dogs, especially puppies, Paisley took him up on the offer. But she would have written regardless, as she kind of fancies Sir William. 

Two days before the delegations were set to arrive, Anthony and Dot appeared. Mary noted they both look happy and content, which is good considering a lot of married couples do not. When Dot saw her dear friend, she ran to her and embraced her in a huge hug. "I have missed you so much," she exclaimed. Mary told her the same. Then the sorely missed friend gave Paisley a hug too.