Chapter 38: Ruthlessness

When the Duke and Duchess went to bed Wednesday night, he told Mary about her sister's treatment. "When I arrived at Hatfield, the little girl could be heard crying. At first look, Hatfield had been looted. I was profoundly worried for Elizabeth. Everything important had been taken and I'm guessing in order to finance Lady Anne's imprisonment and ultimate execution. Elizabeth's maids had been dismissed as well. But the thing that bothered me the most, besides the looting, was Lady Bryan."

Mary remembers the woman. She had briefly been part of her own household. The woman wore a dour-looking face and has a stern voice. The Duchess could only wonder as to what her husband has to say about her. It surely can't be anything good. Which it was not.

"When I entered the house and heard Elizabeth crying, I went to find her. In a room, in a crib, Elizabeth wailed while Lady Bryan stared down. The woman was threatening to hit her if she didn't obey. It was then I burst into the room and picked the girl up. I told Lady Bryan I was taking her permanently and showed the letter from the King." He explained all of this to his wife while feeling the ire against the old woman rise in him again. 

With an unladylike snort, the Duchess told him "I bet she just hated that, didn't she? Did Elizabeth take to you holding her well?"

He smiled at the memory of his half-sister-in-law in his arms. She's a tiny thing and holding her served to make the feeling of wanting his own little girl that much stronger. "Elizabeth was fine with my holding of her. In fact, she quieted almost instantly. As for her governess, the lady was chuffed at the King's letter. Before I left with Bess, I gave the woman a real dressing down. I told her that if I hear of her having threatened, or having hit, the child before this I will be sure to bring it to the King himself. I can imagine she wasn't too happy about that."

Mary became incensed at hearing this. "She threatened a crying child? Evil old woman!" Her hand reached for a book on the side table. 

Chuckling at his wife, he asked "Are you reading the baby some of your rubbish poetry?"

She elbowed him. "No. I'm reading a new story about a Duke, of this place called Windscape. He tries to—"

In the middle of her statement, her own Duke snatched the book from her hands. "Why read about a Duke when you have one right beside you? One who loves you very much." 

With a hint of mischief, she asked "Oh really Sir? You love me very much do you? How much do you love me?"

He rolled over and pulled her to him. "This much. Let me show you." Which he did by starting with a kiss. 

Pulling back she broke the kiss and told him "Feel free to use your kisses as a method to shut me up anytime." When he gave her a loving smile, she grabbed the front of his shirt and tugged him down for another one. Their kisses burn bright within them, along with their love

During the rest of the week, Mary and Charles watched how Elizabeth acclimated to their home. The little girl took to it better than expected. Perhaps it's because their home is more stable and loving than what she is used to. In fact, she hasn't even cried once but then there are a ton of people willing to hold her, talk to her, and nurture her. 

Perhaps it's because she has playmates in William and Owen, although they still look at her with wonderment. And technically Owen doesn't want to play with anyone other than his brother. This is so unlike William who's allowed her to push and play with his rolling elephants. Maybe it's both of these things or none of them at all. Either way, she has adapted to her new environment quicker than hoped for. 

By Sunday night, Charles was loathing to go back to London, especially for the trial. He had enough of trials and death with Sir Thomas. Mary had both boys and Bess on their bed. While the little ones played, well the boys played but Bess laid down with the bunny, the two adults packed. In the middle of helping him pack, Her Ladyship proclaimed "I want to go with you. No. I need to go with you. I need to be there for you when you're able to retire at night. You were so stressed out with the other trial. I don't want you upset and frustrated alone."