Chapter 22: Cards

Tired and sore, the Grand Duchess sat on the swing under the large shade tree. She's worn out from trying to be stronger than she feels. A heart that is always giving, kind, and understanding also gets tired. It needs a heart break. Not the kind that involves copious tears where feelings are hurt, but the kind where the heart has a break from feeling so much--- a time out.

After the ball, Mary rolled over and fell fast asleep in their big, comfy bed. This morning she stayed in bed, buried underneath the warmth of the covers, instead of rising early as is her usual routine. Everything the Duke of Somerset said is marinating around in her mind. It won't leave her alone.

However, Charles did not stay in bed. He got up and tried to talk to her, but she didn't want to talk to him. Part of it is her stubborn pride and not wanting her irritation to speak for her. He had asked, "Sweetheart? Mary, are you just going to lie there and ignore me? Are you not going to even tell me what I've done to garner this treatment?"

So in obstinance, she said nothing, just laid there with eyes closed, feigning to be asleep. With a sigh, Charles grabbed a pair of boots, a tunic, and breeches. Then he headed for the door. She could hear his feet step on the floor and also heard him pause. Before leaving the room, his concerned voice declared, "When you're ready to talk, I'll be around." The door closed after that.

To be honest, she hasn't seen him since that morning. This was over six hours ago. Neither has she wanted to see anyone else, not even Dot. Her Highness's mind is confused; whenever she's felt like this in the past, being outside has helped. So she's sitting headstrong in the pleasant breeze and swinging her worries away.

Except it's hard to swing worries away when they don't go away. No matter what the Duchess does, the same things plague her. Things like her father. He continues to twist the knife in her back by giving her away in a game of cards. And she hates how she's still hoping for affection from him because if Mary didn't care, she wouldn't feel this way.

The sound of heavy feet crunched on the grass. Bother! She wonders if it would be rude to yell, "Go away." The person with the heavy feet sat down beside her. She didn't have to turn her head to know who it was.

The smell of sage, bergamot, and sandalwood drifted in the air and instantly alerted her senses. The swing got heavier. Charles's silky voice sounded in her ears. "Do you want to talk about it?"

She stared straight ahead, with one hand on the arm of the swing and the other in her lap. "Nope."

Running a hand through his hair, he told her, "Eventually, you have to talk to me. I'm riding out to the borders with Tony and William. When we get back, I want us to discuss this." The swing got lighter as he got up. Charles had been hoping she'd talk to him. "I was hoping you'd say goodbye because of what happened last time I went to the border." He looked at her face, blank and staring off in the distance. A sigh of annoyance left his mouth. His feet turned to leave.

As he walked away, she thought about the ambush. Turning her head to the right, in his direction, she yelled, "Charles!" He stopped and turned around. Just to be clear, she can be tired and loving at the same time. "I love you." He nodded, smiled, and walked away again. This left her with nothing but time on her hands, so the Duchess continued to swing and think.

In the meantime, the Duke saddled up his horse and rode out with his friends. They rode to Monmouthshire and inspected the new border. This is where he was attacked last time. The new wall is secure and tall, with strategically placed guard posts.

It's here that Anthony asked, "So you decided to screw the King, did you? Twins? And what if they're boys? What will you do then?"

Beyond caring about this issue, the Grand Duke of Suffolk and Wales declared, "Then I'll raise two boys. Besides, they would be his grandchildren. I don't care if we have boys or girls. I love my wife and want a family with her."