Chapter 6

Brayden

After our morning grocery run, everything kind of became a whirlwind.  We had arrived at the small two-bedroom, one-bathroom trailer in the late morning. Almost immediately the twins started to run around the premise, exploring every crevice of our new home. While Marcus had volunteered to watch them and care for Evie if he didn't have to help Kels and I unload the van into our new house.

Our new home was small, very, very small. But seemed safe and clean. The outside of the metal complex looked to have been power washed recently, and there was no mold creeping along the inner walls of the bathroom or kitchen. Old carpet and sticker tile filled the center of the adobe. Old appliances that were probably last replaced in the 80s were all surprisingly still working and after a quick inspection under the sink, none of the pipes were leaking. Altogether, a much better home than what we had come from. 

The only oddity was some of the neighbors. Almost immediately after arriving, several of the other trailer residents came out to greet us and introduce themselves. These more rugged folk were covered in worn clothes and dirty boots, lines of age and wear danced across the faces of the adults, no matter the age of those surrounding us. In a way I felt a little better, these people were hard-working and had experienced the struggle of the world around them, maybe even felt the helplessness of hunger and cold similar to us.

I was inside setting down my load of boxes when the friendly group had begun to assemble, and I could see Kels introducing herself and the rest of the kids. Stepping outside I joined the assembly as soon as I could and Kels took the liberty of reintroducing everyone she had just met. Taking a look around I slowly saw the once-friendly smiles on the faces of our neighbors turn to confusion.

"Hi, I'm Brayden it's a pleasure to meet you all," I say with genuine happiness at their eagerness to greet us. 

Silence surrounds us, and it took me a second to register that the confusion from the group had slowly turned into incredulous fear. 

A woman who seems to be in her early thirties shakily approaches me, "I'm sorry sir, but I don't think you're supposed to be here." 

Confused by her statement I chuckle nervously, warily eyeing her up and the rest of the group.

"Um, this is trailer fifteen right?"

Maybe she meant literally as we had literally started unloading into the trailer we weren't assigned?

She nervously wrung her hands together squeezing her fingers in a vice-like grip refusing to meet my eyes, "Uh, yes it is, b-but are you sure you belong in the trailer park at all? The park is on the border of the land, so this is the Omega section." 

What the fuck?

I scan the rest of the crowd and realize everyone seems to agree with the woman. Fear ripples across the bodies of all those present. Most looked shocked that I seemed to be standing in front of them. Incredulousness passed the faces of the crowd, and I notice some of the men trying to subtly put themselves between us and the direction of the woods that surrounded the park. And the rest of the group is on defensive alert with wary eyes scanning us and the area around us.

Friendly smiles are gone. 

The welcoming atmosphere is gone. 

Courteous and open body language, gone. 

Holy fuck I'm pissed.

"Look, I don't know who you think we are, but there is absolutely no need to feel as if we are a threat to your little community," I grit out specifically eyeing those that seem to have gone protective around us. Everyone seems taken aback and the woman immediately shakes her head.