Chapter 20

Brayden

The familiar form that is Damien Radcliffe, stands in front of his father with an angry expression.

Damien is dressed in his usual formal attire. A white button-down shirt stretches across his broad chest and the first couple of buttons are left undone, putting the tops of his muscled pecks on display, and contrasting starkly against his bronze skin. His legs are covered in dark dress pants and his dark hair is pushed back, and his dark curls casually lay against his head.

Upon my arrival, the two men stop their arguing and go silent. Damien's eyes immediately find me and his face becomes desperate as his eyes quickly dart between myself and Charlotte, crying in my arms.

He grimaces at the scene before him. The lines of his face become deeper as a look of regret is etched into his face.

Seeing him, I send him an icy glare as my breathing becomes labored. My arms protectively tighten around my sister.

I turn to Al, completely pissed off.

"I thought he wasn't invited?" I ask through gritted teeth.

Damien's jaw clenches at my declaration, but otherwise, he doesn't give a reaction to my inquiry.

"He wasn't," Al deadpans, trying to shove Damien's large form back through the doorway. But the younger Radcliffe is able to win and holds his ground rather easily. Instead, his dark eyes continue to stare at me solemnly, and the creases on his forehead portray tiredness.

"I wasn't going to stay I was just trying to drop this off..." Damien replies quietly, as he gestures to the overflowing bag in his hand. He eyes Charlotte warily as if her response to him has left him completely dejected.

"Stop looking at her!" I spit out, as my grip on Charlotte tightens a little.

At my outburst, I feel her head turn so that her face is no longer buried in my shoulder and she's looking away from me. Her little hands suddenly push against me, her attention now on the bag in Damien's grasp.

Her hand wipes at the tears in her eyes and snot drips down her face as she sniffles loudly. I see her look at the bag and then look back at me before she leans in close to my ear.

"Is that a crown?" she asks, her voice no louder than a whisper.

I look at the bag and notice what it contains for the first time.

Inside the stretched plastic are many, many toys. I can see different kinds of building blocks and sets, along with play dolls and sparkly dress-up items. While the objects seem to distract Charlotte they only make me angry.

I immediately glared at Damien and he flinches at my hard gaze.

"What's all of that?" I ask, already pretty sure I know the answer.

He looks surprised at my hostility.

"It's...uh...for the kids," he says, as one of his large hands moves to nervously rub behind his neck. His previous dominant stand-off with his father is long forgotten as the giant is reduced to nothing more than a shy mess. A light blush spreads across the apples of his cheeks, and his eyes look down nervously. He shuffles his feet a little bit, as he can probably feel the weight of my judging stare.

Charlotte immediately pulls away from me and struggles to get down. Her puffy and tear-stained face brightens at the bag of goodies. I try to grab her, but she quickly makes her way in front of Damien and stops to lift her head, looking at his intimidating figure warily.

Damien immediately crouches down until he is almost level with her and stretches out his arm trying to hand her the bag.

Charlotte tilts her head, "Are those really for us?" she asks hesitantly.