Chapter 37

Brayden

It was cooler out this morning, although the weather had seemed to take a dip in temperature recently and the coming of seasons' change was in full swing. The sun was just beginning to rise and I enjoyed the breeze that swept across my face, as I waited with bated breath for the establishment before me to officially open.

While the building wasn't huge, it was definitely the most impressive one on the block. It honestly looked like a typical government building. The whole exterior was concrete, and large columns adorned the sides of the building underneath the large awning. Ornate embellishments wrapped around the top of the structure and the sign of the Goddess rested as the center crest just above the main doorway.

Standing in front of two large glass doors, I could see my reflection staring back at me. I was more dressed up than my normal attire and was hoping my choices made me come across as more professional. I was wearing my only pair of khakis as well as my only pair of dress shoes. On top, I had chosen to wear a long-sleeved navy button-down, and my sleeves were rolled on my forearms; although, this was due to a breakfast mishap rather than a stylistic choice. For the first time in a while, I had also attempted to style my hair, but the product made my blonde locks come across as messier than slicked back.

Even if I wasn't able to look as pristine as I had hoped my point still came across.

I wasn't here for a casual visit, I was here for business.

The only thing that seemed to diminish the severity of my attire was the stupid cane next to my side.

After I had woken up my first morning back home, Kelsey had non-stop pestered me to go and get my leg checked out. I had adamantly refused as I didn't want any more treatment, but after the kids were sent off to school I had swung by the hospital. My visit there was short as I had been reluctant to engage with Dr. Monroe over anything but logistics, and after a brief examination, he prescribed me some painkillers and instructed me to use an aide for the next couple of weeks.

It was now a week after that appointment and while I had felt that I was strong enough to walk without it, Kelsey made me solemnly promise to adhere to my diagnosis until my time ran out.

In addition, all of my other injuries seemed to have healed fine. I have a small scar on the top and bottom of my left hand from Damien's partial bite, and other than a slight irritation when the skin is dry, the old wound is hardly noticeable. The mark on my neck has also mostly healed. The swelling around the canine punctures has completely vanished, as well as any redness. All that was left was a soft pink outline of his bite, that would soon turn white.

The door in front of me suddenly clicks and I see a surprised pack member quickly unlocking the bolt of the entrance. I don't pay them much mind as I walk past them, their gaping mouth and stuttering apologies for not realizing I was there sooner went in one ear and out the other. The worker follows behind me as I enter the lobby and the other administration employees stop their early morning conversations to look at me.

Walking up to the front desk, I see the secretary staring at me in shock as I simply give her a blank stare.

"Where's his office?" I ask, not feeling the need to expound on who I'm looking for.

The secretary immediately stands up and starts leading me down a side hall. As we walk, I choose to quietly observe the building, rather than engage in useless conversation.

The floors were tiled and shiny, their deep cream color bordering on yellow rather than a neutral. The walls matched the floors with a dark beige, while the trim and doors were all wood with a bright cherry, red stain. While I'm sure the products were expensive at one point, the whole ascetic seemed to be slightly out of date.