Chapter 27

Brayden

"How's your pain level?" Dr. Monroe asks, standing by my side, examining my charts.

"Fine," I reply, shortly.

"Would you like another round of pain meds?"

"No."

"Are you hungry, should I call up a nurse for your lunch?"

"No."

The doctor sighs as he puts down his clipboard, obviously frustrated by my minimal responses. There's a tense moment of silence as he grabs my left hand and begins unwinding the bandage, examining the wound.

I give no reaction to his prodding.

"Cooperation is key to recovery," he tries to calmly encourage, as he gets out a clean set of wrap, "your minimal eating and refusal of medication is not going to harm anyone but yourself."

"Maybe you should report my insubordination to your fucking, Alpha," I grit out, fisting my right hand in anger.

Dr. Monroe pauses his treatment on my wound at my declaration, and the tension in the room rises.

"Holding resentment isn't going to help anyone either," he mumbles softly, resuming his task, careful to avoid eye contact.

I scoff and yank my hand away from his.

"This is all his fault, I'm here because of that motherfucker!" I yell, angrily grabbing the bandages and choosing to rewrap my injury myself.

"The wound is his fault, but you put yourself in this bed–"

"The FUCK I did!" I yell in indignation, "It was this hospital's shitty work system that put me here!"

I can feel my face heat as it flushes with anger.

"You went above and beyond the working hours we permit," Dr. Monroe chastises, undeterred by my outburst of rage, "In order to work the hours you did, you manipulated the system by receiving permission from varying superiors, all of whom were unaware as to the extent of your schedule."

"The rules didn't forbid me from doing that!" I scream, angrily wrapping the bandage around my hand more quickly, "And I wouldn't have had to work longer hours if you paid me a livable wage!"

"You hear that mighty Alpha, some leader you are!" I shout to the open door of my room, "You can't even pay your workers enough to live on!"

Even though I couldn't see him, I knew Damien was out there. Sulking just around the corner from my presence, but not daring to re-enter my room the last few days.

I feel something touching my left hand, and see that Dr. Monroe is trying to correct my poor wrapping job. I instantly rip my hand from his grip, irritated by his persistence.

"I refuse further treatment," I seethe with a deadly glare at the man.

Dr. Monroe looks at me with a weary expression sighing at my behavior, "You've been trying that line the last three days, you know that won't work here," he says dejectedly, no doubt exhausted from my unwillingness to comply.

"Get out of my room," I grit out stiffly.

The doctor pauses before running a tired hand down his face. He studies me for a second before giving a small nod, heading towards the doorway. He pauses just before exiting.

"I'll be back in an hour to check your vitals," he proclaims, turning back to give me one last look.

"Get out of my room!" I shriek, picking up the plastic cup of water next to me and chucking it at his retreating form. The cup misses its target and hits the doorframe just as Dr. Monroe quickly exits without another word.