Chapter 35

Damien

Brayden and I were seated side by side on the long couch in the front living room. Although, he wasn't really sitting beside me so much as sitting as far on the opposite side of the couch as he possibly could. His tired form was practically leaning off of the arm of the couch and his legs were crossed, facing away from me. He wasn't trying to be subtle and his actions were definitely exaggerated to the point where there was no way he was sitting comfortably.

My mother sat across from us. She was positioned on the edge of one of the accent chairs. Her back was straight, and her hands were folded meekly in her lap just over her crossed ankles. She was poised, her eyes sharp and keen as she sat in front of the two of us expectantly.

I was completely floundering at the situation and my agitated state did nothing to help matters. I didn't know what to do with myself. My tapping feet and jittery legs wouldn't stop moving, and I kept folding my hands together as my elbow rested on the edge of my bouncing knees.

Everything felt as if it was out of my control.

Last night, while it was difficult, I had made the decision to let Brayden do as he pleased. No matter how much it was going to hurt me, no matter what the consequences were. Seeing the lengths he was willing to go to be apart from me was enough for me to give him what he ultimately desired.

I remember his pleading eyes and how sincere he was in his request for me to let him go. I remember coming to my decision of putting him first, before any of my other responsibilities as an Alpha. I remember approaching the line. And then...

Everything becomes really fuzzy and disorientated.

I have snippets of recollection from throughout the rest of the night. There are shadows of memories of me running as my wolf through the forest, and my instincts becoming more and more desperate as time passed. I vaguely recall seeing Brayden laying on the ground in front of me, and the feeling of relief that came with knowing he was able to get what he wanted in the end.

But after that nothing...

The next thing I remember is standing over Brayden as his neck drips with blood from my mark. Due to both physical and mental exhaustion, I remember that his form was limp in my arms, as he was completely passed out after my bite, and I held him in my shaking arms.

I remember feeling panic and confusion. Complete and absolute despair as I realized what I had done. There was a moment of dread as I looked up at Aiden, who had merely shaken his head solemnly with an apologetic bow.

There was no remorse on my beta's face, and I knew he didn't regret his actions throughout the night. For him, the pack had always come first. Duty and loyalty to those we as leaders served to watch over and protect. In his mind, he was just doing what his position called him to do, no matter what those costly results entailed.

Betrayal of both Alpha and son.

At that moment everything had felt out of my control. I didn't understand what was going on, and to a degree, I couldn't quite comprehend what was being explained to me because of the drugs running through my system. I didn't have a grasp on anything that was going on, which is why the next morning I had been so desperate to try and regain a semblance of the control that I had lost.

I had decided to try and cook.

I knew Brayden was going to refuse anything that I laid out for him, but the breakfast was as much for me as the intention had been for him. While cooking, I was in control of the area and what I was making.

It was an act of desperation to try and regain what I had lost the previous night. But that too had quickly spiraled into another situation that I couldn't keep a grasp on.