Chapter 32

Brayden

I run.

I feel nothing but blind panic. I didn't really anticipate this to happen.

No, this shouldn't have happened.

My mind swirls with thoughts of what just transpired and I can't stop myself from repeatedly thinking the same thing.

Damien was going to cross the line. He should've crossed the line.

The moment I enter the woods all I can hear is the sound of my beating heart echoing in my ears. As I lift my legs and pound the soles of my shoes into the dirt of the forest floor I can feel each pump of blood rushing through my veins, and it isn't too long before I feel my body heat up in an all too familiar way.

My feet find a rhythm, and my knees raise almost on their own as I swing my arms at my sides. The proper formation of running finds its way onto my body in a subconscious moment, and I let myself embrace the familiar sensation of the sport leading my body. My breathing levels out, and I find my pace with an instinctive reflex from past memories of harsh training.

I let my body run automatically, as I turn my mind off for a few minutes.

While I run, it feels as though the darkness completely surrounds me. The tendrils of the night seem to stretch out from all directions enveloping me in a shadowy tunnel. The tough ground underneath my feet mercilessly blends into the savage roots that line the canopy floor and successfully grab my shoes every few steps. The trees are the worst part of the whole ordeal as the sharp branches brush against my skin in an unpleasant way, and it isn't long before I can feel my bare chest and arms chaffing painfully from the dry leaves.

I can't stop running.

I suddenly realize I have no idea where I'm going. I just took off without thinking. I'm in the middle of unknown woods and it's pitch black out.

I can't stop running.

This realization doesn't make me slow down; rather, the more I think about my helplessness the more my speed increases in terror. My feet begin to stumble more frequently, and I realize that my previous steady rhythm of breathing is starting to become erratic gasps. My arms begin to tremble as I feel myself physically becoming overwhelmed by this scenario.

I can't stop running.

My eyes dart around as fear is now in control, but all I can see is the closing darkness.

Darkness everywhere trying to cage me within its grasp. The long tree branches scrape against me, trying to reach for my flesh and hold me back. The roots of the forest reach out, ready to lock around my legs and keep me hostage.

I can't stop running.

I stumble once more, but this time completely lose my balance. I crash to the ground on my knees and realize the darkness around me is getting worse. The edges of my vision begin to go dark, as my breathing picks up and my lungs savagely cry out for air. I couldn't focus on anything but the fear ripping through my body.

I can't stop running.

I'm all alone. I'm trapped in the thick darkness that surrounds me. I can't escape. There's nowhere that's safe anymore...I'm all alone. I'm trapped–

SLAP!

My head suddenly turns to the side from the sudden impact. My face stings as I feel my cheek heat up and my previous internal rambling comes to a screeching halt.

There's a moment of silence as I reach up my hand and feel my slapped face before I'm able to look around.

Travis stands above my shaking form with one hand still raised in the air, the seeming obvious culprit of my current pain. His eyes are wide as he stares at me with concern. When my eyes meet his he immediately crouches down next to me and grips my shoulders tightly.