Chapter 108

"Not long now, my love," Arthur muttered as he sat by Miriam's side, the king having set her near the sparkling lake that was the Cauldron of Arianrhod.

"I don't like it. He's taking too long," Gwaine said as he looked around to see no sight of Merlin who'd gone to search for the sorceress; who'd gone to transform into the sorceress. Instead, his eyes landed on someone else. "Mordred?" he called, and the king stood.

"I thought we'd lost you," Arthur said as the knight came running, Merlin having dissuaded them from going back for Mordred after saying that he saw Morgana.

"So did I," Mordred replied as he clasped Gwaine's arm.

"Well, I for one, am glad you did not perish," he chuckled before Mordred moved over to grasp Arthur's arm, Gwaine patting him on the back.

"How did you escape Morgana?" he asked.

"Even she is no match for the knight of the round table."

"No, seriously, Mordred," Arthur asked, but Mordred was saved from having to answer when an elderly woman wrapped in a tattered black dress emerged from behind a large pile of boulders. "Now it makes sense," Arthur muttered.

"Merlin said she had trouble getting clothes," Gwaine explained to Mordred after they'd both caught Merlin with a dress in his bag.

"Who are you? What business have you in this sacred place?" the woman asked.

"Are you the Dolma? Ancient sorceress of the Cauldron of Arianrhod?" Arthur questioned, though it almost seemed as if he was questioning himself.

The woman gently flourished her arms before snapping, "Who else would I be?"

"Sire?" Gwaine asked. "Does she look familiar to you?"

Arthur's brows scrunched together as he looked closer at the woman.

"Now that you say that, just a little."

"There is something, I agree," Mordred added.

"What say you? Why do you mutter?" the sorceress asked as she neared the three knights who all stood protectively in front of their queen's body.

"You look familiar, sorceress," Arthur answered but it seemed to flatter her as she smiled and pushed the stands of her grey hair back beneath her hood.

"My lord, where is Merlin?" Mordred then asked and Arthur's eyes widened as he and Gwaine held the hilts of their swords.

"What have you done with Merlin?" Gwaine asked.

"Oh. The gangly boy," the Dolma hummed, and Arthur drew his sword, followed by Gwaine. "If you kill me, you'll never see him again," she warned, and the knights stilled. "I am an old woman. It is not natural I seek some surety? The boy will be returned to you once we have concluded our business."

"You know why we're here," Arthur stated.

"Nothing is hidden from the Dolma. Now hurry before your queen awakes. Set her by the pool," she instructed as she moved to the water's edge and the knights sheathed their swords.

"We better get Merlin back or else there's no point in all this because Mira will kill me if I lose her brother to a sorceress while trying to save her," Arthur muttered to Gwaine who chuckled as the king picked up the queen.

"We will get him back, for your sake, sire."

They then stood watch as the Dolma knelt by Miriam's head, the queen still sleeping soundly.

"Great king, the magic which has ensnared your queen is strong indeed. It can be fought. It can be broken but it may also prevail. Do you understand this?'