Chapter 1

"Hey good job you two!"

There was a loud round of applause from the small crowd that had formed around Katsuki and Kirishima's joined desks. Shittyhair was eating up the praise, that bastard, but Katsuki was just trying to keep his irritation in check. His stupid therapist's voice was nagging at him in the back of his head to remember his steps.

'Think before you speak, Bakugo.'

His fingers tapped against his desk as the small crowd continued to linger, chatting away like they didn't have a job to do. Katsuki took a calming breath, organizing his thoughts before he opened his mouth like his therapist told him. His voice was tight and irritated, but it wasn't shouting.

"Your idiotic chattering is keeping me from doing my job, so I will... kindly.. ask you to shut your traps and get lost!"

Okay, maybe the last part was a bit higher than normal, but they all scattered, so win, win.

"Come on, man, we're still the newbies. How about not being your prickly self until they get to know us better?" Kiri suggested.

"Or you can let me focus on the autopsy report and stop worrying about making friends so much?" Katsuki said.

"Okay, harsh, but haven't you already looked that report over like a hundred times already? We already caught the guy, so what are you still looking for?" Kiri asked.

If he knew then Katsuki wouldn't still be looking over every detailed piece of the report, it was just off. That's the only way he could describe it. It was something deep in his gut that told him they were missing something, which meant he had to start back at the beginning and comb through every piece of evidence they had.

"You're grumpier than usual, Bakubro. Are you sure this isn't just your perfectionist complex taking over?"

Katsuki brushed him off. This wasn't that this was instinct. He glanced back at the profile picture of the smiling girl who could have been no older than sixteen resting next to her profile image they had taken at the morgue.

Emiko Ito

It was a shame, even Katsuki could admit that much. Emiko got dealt a bad hand in life, with too little time in this world and too much suffering in her last moments. So Katsuki couldn't slack off and just accept the narrative being offered to him.

The autopsy had included the contents in her digestive tract. She had eaten a full meal just hours before she was murdered, but yet she was supposed to have been held captive for three days. Even the list of foods didn't add up with what their perp had confessed to.

Toya Setsuno.

A petty criminal who had only a few minor charges of battery and theft. Katsuki leaned back in his chair completely ignoring Kirishima as snatched the guys mugshots.

Late twenties. Lanky build. The guy was a fellow blonde like Katsuki but unlike his own un-tamable spikes, his was a stringy blond mop of hair that covered half his face. He looked like he could barely throw a punch, much less force their Vic into the back of the car and torture her for three consecutive days.

And the contents of the food was another thing.

"Hey are you ignoring me?" Kiri whines.

Katsuki stood up, which startled Kirishima enough that he almost toppled out of his chair. If he couldn't this nagging feeling go, then there was really only one thing Katsuki could do, so he walked away, Kiri close at his heels as Katsuki stormed into the Captain's office for ready to fight to keep the case open longer.

The older man glanced up at Katsuki, unamused even though he didn't show any outward reaction as he glanced up from the report he was looking over. Shota Aizawa was a bit more laid back than others in his position, with his long black hair that he kept pulled back in a low ponytail, to the permanent stubble that he always had.